 Space / 16370
16369  |  16371
Subject:
Trains and moonbase (Was: Moonbase and monorail)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:46:49 GMT

Hi,

First, thanks to all for the positive feedback!

Space Trains :-) sounds like an interesting idea!

I wonder if we could define a "low rider" kind of train that could run under
the corridors... I think this was part of the idea behind the requirement to
keep the four studs clear on each side of a module.
I'll play around with Train Designer tonight and see if I can work out some
geometry (knowing TLG, I bet it's going to work!).

The thing to remember with trains is that they take a lot more space than
monorails and have some limitations in terms of possible layouts (return
loops are possible but they are messy).

One more thing: with a light load, a train motor will go up a one brick per
track panel (I guess that would be a 1 bptp) and maybe more... One problem
when trying to build modules with grades is that the track geometry is
broken. What I mean is a track panel which is normaly 16 studs long will be
shorter when put at an angle (if my math is correct, the apparent length is
15.92, for an elevation os 1 bptp). This problem is usualy solved by raising
half of a loop; while this is fine for a layout with a "master plan" it can
be difficult to organize on a modular layout. One option is to build extra
steep grades and use a cog rail made of Technic racks (I've built prototypes
that went up almost 45 degree angles).

Greetings,
David Wegmuller

In lugnet.space, Frank Filz writes:
Duane Hess wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of required train motor/track friction
than physical part limitations. I've read some of the discussions in .Trains
on the subject, but I know that those Train Guys are intent on pulling as
many cars as possible with one engine. ;-) IIRC the unofficial slope was 1
plate per track section.

The Monorail's hill climbing ability does make it more suitable for
elevation changes, especially large ones to get up and over an
obstruction.

I'm more interested in the Space Community's opinion of train v. monorail
with regard to availability. My hunch is that there are more people with
trains than monorails, but I've been wrong before.

I don't think it has to be an either/or. We can have both.

Frank