 Robotics / Spybotics / 206
Re: Proximity detection?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 08:08:59 GMT

hi,
here is what i use for proximity detection:
http://www.half-cocked.de/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=4&page=1

bye

In lugnet.robotics.spybotics, Brian B. Alano writes:
André Koopman wrote:

As far as I know. Spybot reacts on the IR transmissions from the • controller
or an another Spybot. But perhaps you can let the Spybot transmit RCX
messages and receive the reflections from a static object via the light
sensor on the back of the Spybot..

Just to report my initial findings using the rear LED and light sensor for
proximity detection:

Overall results are unsatisfactory. Even under the best circumstances, it • could
not reliably see the LED reflected against my blue leather sofa. I might try
aligning the beam better or diffusing it.

Ambient light was also a major problem, even with the threshold high as 50
percent. In fact, it usually detected windows and lamps better then LED
reflections. I might try examining a rate of change instead of an absolute • light
level.

On IR proximity and static objects, I now infer from the Spybotics software • that
there is a target (designated "black outline") that will detect an object in • the
anywhere zone. Can anyone confirm this.