 Robotics / RCX / *5024 (-10)
Subject:
Convert NQC to legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 02:01:01 GMT

I have been thinking about how to convert NQC program to legOS program when
I found standard firmware only supports 8 levels output, but legOS can
support 255 levels.
I wanted to write the converting software by myself, but I don't have enough
time to do it, does anyone agree my idea and make it? I think it will be
very useful and practical.

Br
Zhengrong

Re: RIS2.0/legOS/linux and win98
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 22:55:15 GMT

Hey,

I have the same question! I've been driving myself crazy for the last few
days trying to find some information on the subject. I sent an e-mail to
Markus Noga, the author of LegOS and he said it doesn't support USB, only
serial. I cant even seem to find any good resources on how to program USB on
win32.

I think lego is phasing out the serial tower - I don't see them in stores
any more. I hope someone can help us USB folks out!

Thanks!

Michael

Re: Non Robot uses of the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 23:04:57 GMT

I calculated the acceleration of gravity once with a light sensor, touch sensor
(for timing purposes), a ruler, and ROBOLAB 2.  It didn't involve a whole lot
of data so it didn't make it into the Sample Projects of ROBOLAB Investigator,
but some other ones that did are:

1) Calculating the speed of a LEGO motor (both with angle sensor and light
sensor and spinning black and white wheel), 2) graphing temperature and light
overnight outside my apartment window, 3) "reaction time" (like you described),
and 4) "doorway" (monitoring who comes in and out of your room with the light
sensor).  All of them are fully functioning examples with graphs, programs,
calculations, etc.

Incidentally, in my book "Creative Projects with LEGO Mindstorms" there are
several non-robotic projects, including 4 kinetic sculptures, a bird feeder
that automatically takes a picture of a bird that lands on it, and various
science experiements like a repeat of the doorway experiement, taking data
inside the refrigerator (light and temperature), and calculating speed and
acceleration of a robot, and calculating speed of a motor.

other things in the book that aren't the standard robot: Decoder, tickle-me
lego robot, elevator, and "painter" (robot that drives around and drips paint
on the ground at programmed intervals and places)

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Frank Caggiano writes:
Hello,

Over in k12.ed.science a poster wanted to perform an experiment where he
would time how long it took various objects to fall when dropped inside
a long tube. He was looking for information regarding timing circuits,
how to build one, where to get the parts, how to read the time values,
etc.  It's an experiment I've thought of doing myself using the RCX to
do the timing. I recommended he look into getting a Mindstorms kit and
using the RCX. As an added bonus once he done with the experiment he
still has the RCX and Mindstorms.

Lately I've been looking at non-robotic uses of the RCX. One experiment
we did over the summer was  timing a persons reflexes. We connected a
pushbutton to the RCX, programed the RCX to play a tone after a random
delay and then  recorded the time it took for a person holding the
button to press it.  The kids had a great time with that one trying to
beat each other. It might even lead to a science fair project.

Anyway I was wondering how many of you are using the RCX in this way?
While robots are great both for fun and learning the RCX presents a
great many other possibilities.
So what else is the RCX being used for?

regards

Subject:
RIS2.0/legOS/linux and win98
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:06:41 GMT

Hello folks.

Just got my RIS2.0 from Target and installed the Lego GUI based
thing. I've also installed legOS in Win98 and linux and I'm getting
ready to start hacking but I have a few questions.

(1) Does anybody have experience with the USB tower and legOS in general?
(2) In particular, has anybody tried legOS on linux with the USB port?
     I have release 2.2.16 of the kernel, if I remember well (RedHat 7.0)
     and my understanding is that USB support is rather flaky for this
     release.
(3) How about legOS on Win98 and USB?

Just in case I ordered a serial IR tower from Pitsco - they sell them for
$29...

It looks like some folks in Japan have already dealt with the USB issues
but all the sites I've found have how-tos written in Japanese.

Thank you

Bogdan

Re: Installing legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:25:05 GMT

"Wouter Roux" <wouter@cs.sun.ac.za> writes:

I followed the installation instructions on
http://legOS/.sourceforge.net/files/linux/debian.

There's a debian package for legos, why don't you install that?

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/

Re: Installing legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:47:03 GMT

On Aug 19, Wouter Roux wrote:
I followed the installation instructions on
http://legOS/.sourceforge.net/files/linux/debian.
I have already installed the cross-compiler
and legOS.As soon as I type make in the legOS
directory it works untill the following error message:

h8300-hitachi-hms-gcc:installation problem cannot exec 'cc1':No such file or
directory

The path to the gcc-lib directory where cc1 resides is hardcoded in
the gcc binary.  You can overwrite it with the option "-B" though,
e.g. changing the COPT in Makefile.common:

COPT  =-B/usr/local/crossgcc/rcx-debian2.1/lib/gcc-lib/ -O2 -fno-builtin -fomit-frame-pointer

Or install gcc to the directory for which it was compiled.

  Jochen

Re: Non Robot uses of the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 14:44:14 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Frank Caggiano writes:
Hello,

snip...

Lately I've been looking at non-robotic uses of the RCX. One experiment
we did over the summer was  timing a persons reflexes. We connected a
pushbutton to the RCX, programed the RCX to play a tone after a random
delay and then  recorded the time it took for a person holding the
button to press it.  The kids had a great time with that one trying to
beat each other. It might even lead to a science fair project.

...snip

Frank, ROBOLAB provides some great datalogging possibilities, complete with
calculation and charting capability.  But then, you have to buy the sensors,
offered through Pitsco LEGO Dacta and elsewhere.  For example, with the
temperature sensor you can data-log your refrigerator and freezer.  Do you
*really* know how cold your ice-cream is?

Jerry

Subject:
Installing legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 21:10:40 GMT

I followed the installation instructions on
http://legOS/.sourceforge.net/files/linux/debian.
I have already installed the cross-compiler
and legOS.As soon as I type make in the legOS
directory it works untill the following error message:

h8300-hitachi-hms-gcc:installation problem cannot exec 'cc1':No such file or
directory

I have changed the Makefile.common to point to the location of my cross-compiler
as follow

#Linux
TOOLPREFIX=/usr/local/crossgcc/rcx-debian2.1/bin/h8300-hitachi-hms-

Please help.Thank you.
Wouter

Subject:
Non Robot uses of the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 22:51:17 GMT

[...]

Frank Caggiano "The best education for the best
caggiano@crystal-objects.com is the best education for all."
http://www.crystal-objects.com/    Robert M. Hutchins

Logo Users Ring
http://www.crystal-objects.com/logo/logoring.html

Subject:
VLL macro blocks for RIS 2.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.microscout, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 00:27:44 GMT

http://ridge.spiritone.com/~nabil/lego/ris2-vll-blocks.lsc is a RIS 2.0
save file (you'll need to right-click and save it) that is a set of macro
blocks to do VLL.

After you open it, drag the big stack on the right into your My Blocks
bin.

It's hard-coded for port B, but is easily changed.  I've been using it
with a lego lamp and the little reflector, seems to work as expected.

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact