 Robotics / NXT / NXT Firmware Hacking / 9
Re: GCC vs. IAR compiler: Could GCC be tweaked to generate code as tight as IAR?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt.nxthacking
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:55:05 GMT

Have you experimented at all with the compiler optimisation flags?

I have not done that. Well, just a little bit:-). The best one (not
surprisingly) is the "-Os" optimization, which does this
"Optimize for size. -Os enables all -O2 optimizations that do not typically
increase code size."

I don't know
if all of them are supported for the ARM architecture, and some options cause
problems on other architectures, but there's a bit of a list here:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/gcc-3.3/gcc/Optimize-Options.html • Thanks for the link.

Also, removing debug information (-s) will reduce the size, but you may not want
to do that while hacking.
I tried that but I think the debug info is used on the host side? It did not
seem to decrease the firmware image.
Thanks for the ideas.
Best,
Rasmus