 Robotics / NXT / 89
Re: Severe Case of Alkaline Battery Leakage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:01:58 GMT

On 22/08/06, gypsy_fly <e_pilobello@yahoo.com> wrote:
I've got Duracell Coppertops on 10 NXTs I use in class.  I've just experienced a
nasty case of battery leakage.  Good thing it leaked on the cover rather than on
the electronics.

Good thing the student, an 11 year old, brought the leakage to my attention.  I
had him wash his hands while I cleaned up the mess.

I did some checking after the fact.  The Material Safety Data Sheets on the
Duracell website basically treats alkalines as hazardous material.  They suggest
wearing gloves for skin protection from the caustic liquid.  My skin did not
feel too much of a tingle.  However, it would probably require some determined
eye-washing if the liquid got rubbed into the eyes.

I propose that a stronger warning and a notice of first-aid procedures in the
case of a mishandling of alkaline battery leakage SHOULD appear somewhere in the
NXT documentation.

Is there an outside chance that the NXT could have reversed the current to the
batteries and thereby cause the leakage?

This may also indicate a short. It may be prudent to take a multimeter
across the battery terminals in the battery box on the NXT before
putting any fresh batteries in.

If that is the case, I would strongly recommend returning the brick.
Shorts would be a bit of a nasty QA problem.

In terms of health and safety, not only may handling the leaked
alkaline be a bad idea, but shorted batteries can overheat and cause
fires, or even explode. Not good at all.

Danny
--
Danny Staple MBCS
OrionRobots