 Robotics / Micro Scout / 78
77  |  79
Subject:
Microscout and IR
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.microscout
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 07:28:41 GMT

I was reading stuff about the Microscout that said it's light sensor would
not pick up IR light; however, I decided to try it out for myself. Using
mode 3 (as the easiest one to check), I started it running, and then pointed
the remote from my DVD player at it and pressed a button, and indeed the
Microscout stopped and started turning the other way (though it would keep
turning only as long as I held the button).

By experiment, I found it was most reliable when the remote was held within
a foot of the Microscout's sensor, and it had about a thirty-degree field of
vision. It also worked from further away, but I had to point the remote
directly at the sensor, with very little tolerance. In a dark room, it
worked more reliably up to a metre away.

I suppose the best use for this would be to try to program a universal
remote to produce the signals for controlling the Microscout in P-mode (i.e.
using the immediate controls), thereby giving immediate control of the
Microscout without the hassle of wires or probes.