 Robotics / Handy Board / 90
89  |  91
Subject:
DL problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 1996 09:36:08 GMT

Hi everyone,

I've noticed problems with both DL and DLM in certain situations too.
At first I used to think that I made a mistake in configuration or ruined
a controller somehow.  Over time, however, I realized that these programs
were finicky about their environment.  Windows shells, full screen or
windowed are not always compatible with DL and DLM.  And there are a
number of other things I've discovered which I can't recall right now.
There are certain versions of DL (older version, that is) which are
seemingly more robust.  In the case of the Handy Board, the main concern is
to load the pcode (hopefully not too often), and not worry  about it again
until the memory gets corrupted accidentally.  So, I guess the inconvenience
is not too big a deal.  I can't recall if earlier versions of DL and DLM
are available on cher, but if they're not, Fred may want to make them easy
to access, as a backup.
On a different note, I had success wirelessly programming the Handy
Board, 6.270 board and MiniBoard.  I've used wireless RF modems as well as
an IrDA module from TI.  Sure makes programming quick and easy!  I was
doing some "group intelligence" robotics (basically emergent language studies
using GAs) where I had eight robots, using the Miniboard as an onboard
controller.  A PC was doing most of the computation and downloading appropriate
code (GA bit-strings) to these eight 'bots via a multi-drop RF link combined
with some additional RF stuff to set the download/run switch and put the
Miniboard into download mode.  Is there any interest in a cheap IrDA complient
serial module for the Handy Board?  I've got some lying around right here,
and would consider incorporating them into a usable device if there is
interest.

- Prabal