 Robotics / Handy Board / 8684
Re: Handyboards for Dummies, etc.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 02:51:14 GMT

Fred G. Martin wrote:
A case as you describe it would be nice.  To me it's largely a cost
issue.  Custom plastic is expensive to set up -- thousands of dollars
for an injection mold.   Anyone care to open-source a design?  That
would be a start :-).

Fred

Well, first of all, injection moulding may not have to be the only
option.  Thermoforming may be another alternative that to my
understanding does not carry anywhere near the initial expense as
injection moulding.  Secondly, what might make it even cheaper still is
to contract a company that happens to make custom plastic enclosures for
this.  Of course, a design has to be where it begins -- there'd be no
other way to even get an estimate on the cost without it.