 Robotics / Handy Board / 5637
5636  |  5638
Subject:
Book Review ??? -Reply
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:10:44 GMT

I bought the "Personal Robot Navigator" last year.  The book focuses on
the simulation software (came with the book).  There is almost no
hardware discussions at all and I found that frustrating (especially after
reading "Mobile Robots"!)  The model used is based on shaft encoders,
digital compass and location beacons.  No real world implementation of
these is discussed.  However, there is extensive theoretical software
modeling done.  I would suggest a book like "Artificial Intelligence in
Mobile Robots" if you are interested in case studies of successful
navigation methods.
-Drew