 Robotics / Events / 93 (-93)
  Re: Official LEGO site has MindFest pics

(...) Actually, a more likely reason is that we are looking at the LEGO Mindstorms web site. No RCX --> no "Mindstorms" --> no picture. We really should collaborate on how to mechanize one of those AT-AT's! (25 years ago, 2-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Official LEGO site has MindFest pics

(...) Ironically, they originally did spell out "The New England LEGO Users' Group" under Henry's picture. It seems that when they added "NELUG" to my captions, they also acronym-ized his caption. (They're almost _too_ responsive!) My theory as to (...) (25 years ago, 2-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Official LEGO site has MindFest pics

(...) I wouldn't be embarased none of the non-robotics stuff made it. Which is of no supprise seeing that was the main theme of the event. I think most of the stuff other than Henry's call at the NELUG table would be considered Modeling or Art and (...) (25 years ago, 2-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Official LEGO site has MindFest pics

(...) Hey, at least you designed something and got it on the page. My Mindfest embarrassment runs deeper... (...) And it seems he did. It's almost tempting to ask that he spell out what NELUG is and/or link it to the website, but that would seem to (...) (25 years ago, 2-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Official LEGO site has MindFest pics

(...) Wow, I'm (almost) embarassed that two of my robots are depicted on the LEGO page. There were certainly a lot of much cooler robots at MindFest than mine, but I'm not complaining... I'm actually in the process of creating a web page for each of (...) (25 years ago, 1-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Official LEGO site has MindFest pics

(...) Henry Chea. (I had to look it up on (URL) myself, I only got to talk to him for about 20 minutes myself the whole weekend) Wow, by the way. Quick response time! eric (25 years ago, 1-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Official LEGO site has MindFest pics

What is Henry's last name? We'll add it right away. Russ (...) (25 years ago, 1-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Official LEGO site has MindFest pics

(...) Hmm. Unfortunately, it doesn't give Henry the credit he deserves for having built the car himself, and it doesn't mention the other members of NELUG who had their own tables as being members. The former is much worse than the latter, in my (...) (25 years ago, 1-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Official LEGO site has MindFest pics

Sorry if anyone already posted this. I just saw it today. a NELUG mention (woo-hoo)! this URL is of an internal frame: (URL) from top URL to get to it propperly.) -Suz (25 years ago, 1-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  New newsgroups lugnet.robotics.edu & lugnet.edu

lugnet.robotics.edu and lugnet.edu have just been created. For background information on how these came to be, please see the following messages and related threads: (URL) <-- especially this one (URL) <-- and this one (3 URLs) new discussion groups (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.dacta, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce)

  Re: Group to discuss Teaching Lego Robotics?? lugnet.robotics.teaching ???

(...) Right on the dot! Early this year I suggested that such a group could be included at some point and time. Maybe that time has come now. Play well! Franz-Michael S. Mellbin --- Franz-Michael S. Mellbin E-mail: fischer-mellbin@fisc...ellbin.com (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  MindFest coverage

I have an article and a few pictures here: (URL) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Group to discuss Teaching Lego Robotics?? lugnet.robotics.teaching ???

(...) I ment issues in general, but the prelude to this discussion was someones desire to discuss educational issues beyond the Mindfest event. From my point of view and my area of interests the robotics threads are structured fine. But if I think (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Group to discuss Teaching Lego Robotics?? lugnet.robotics.teaching ???

Todd, your point about handyboard is well taken. And there are many real-world reasons why successful groups grow to cover many allied topics. The WEB is about "not having to know where everything is, to use it". Lots of people connect to Websites, (...) (25 years ago, 28-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Group to discuss Teaching Lego Robotics?? lugnet.robotics.teaching ???

(...) In your mind, which issues brought up by/at MindFest are the most important ones to carry on (that aren't covered already yet by online groups), or which would you most like to see covered? (...) Interesting. I wonder if that answer assumes (...) (25 years ago, 27-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Mindfest thanks

(...) Bram, it was great honor to meet you finally -- I've been a great admirer of your LDraw work for as long as you've been doing it. Seeing those two trucks in person was also quite a mind-filler! :) --Todd (25 years ago, 27-Oct-99, to lugnet.people, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: Group to discuss Teaching Lego Robotics?? lugnet.robotics.teaching ???

(...) Boy, It's almost a blur now. If I remember correctly, the discussion was about setting up a forum to discuss various issues brought up by Mindfest and its future. I suggested that LUGNET might be open to creating such a forum, but it was (...) (25 years ago, 27-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Mindfest thanks

Here's a big thank you to everyone at MindFest for a great time! I wasn't able to attend any of the workshops, but that didn't stop the time from flying. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to talk to everyone I met (sorry, Ralph H. Great talk BTW; (...) (25 years ago, 27-Oct-99, to lugnet.people, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: Group to discuss Teaching Lego Robotics?? lugnet.robotics.teaching ???

(...) Aha -- Rich, thanks for stepping forward. I wasn't there until the very end of the meeting, so I missed your question, but I heard about it second- or third-hand. What was the answer to your question, and were you satisfied by it? What subset (...) (25 years ago, 27-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: NELUG at Mindfest, A quick summary and more photo's.

(...) I wasn't there for both days, but the times I was there, I had a total blast. The best part was meeting great friendly people and putting faces to names finally, and seeing LEGO designs like Jin Sato's MIBO and the NELUG Star Wars models "in (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.trains)

  Re: NELUG at Mindfest, A quick summary and more photo's.

(...) And as if he hasn't suffered enough indignities in this thread, I spelled Michael Gasperi's name wrong. Memory OK, but verification of facts better! At least I was able to help him secure one of the coveted "MindFest Staff" tee- shirts. (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.trains)

  Re: NELUG at Mindfest, A quick summary and more photo's.

(...) I'd like to mention several other people (not on Eric's list) that I was very pleased to meet/meet again at MindFest: Dave Baum Ben Erwin Bob Frankston Michael Gaspieri Ralph Hempel Fred Martin Markus Noga Kekoa Proudfoot Mitchel Resnick I'm (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.trains)

  Re: NELUG at Mindfest, A quick summary and more photo's.

(...) Yes, well, you're a brick-mangling heretic, so.... :) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events)

Ralph Hempel <rhempel@bmts.com> wrote in message news:000101bf1f27$4d...@pro150... (...) Hrmph. Ralph, how do you think I feel. I was left out too and it was implied the panel was all software. At least Wired has a quote from the audience member in (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: NELUG at Mindfest, A quick summary and more photo's.

(...) Yeah that's what you get for picking a weird old-fashioned obscure computer language. *grin* (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events)

  Sample chapter of Jonathan's book online now

Hi all, O'Reilly has just released a new book on Lego Mindstorms Robots, that provides tons of excellent tips and ideas on how to take your Lego Robots further. Check out the first two chapters in the serialization of "The Unofficial Guide to Lego (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  RE: NELUG at Mindfest, A quick summary and more photo's.

(...) Except me, I seem to be the invisible panelist in the Wired article. Hrmph. Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng ---...--- Check out pbFORTH for LEGO Mindstorms at: (URL) ---...--- Reply to: rhempel at bmts dot com ---...--- (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: NELUG at Mindfest, A quick summary and more photo's.

(...) (There were in fact _lots_ of important people who didn't make Eric's list. I don't think he was trying to be comprehensive and certainly didn't mean to leave anybody out. There were a lot of people there, and I doubt anyone had time to meet (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.trains)

  Re: NELUG at Mindfest, A quick summary and more photo's.

(...) Yes -- I sat at the table with them at lunch once, and can verify that they appear to be mortal humans, despite evidence we've all seen to the contrary. :) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.trains)

  Re: NELUG at Mindfest, A quick summary and more photo's.

(...) [amazing list snipped] (...) Not a scold, but three very important people to note: Kekoa Proudfoot Dave Baum Markus Noga (according to Wired News article at (URL)) I wish I had been there, just to see these three on the Extreme Mindstorms (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.trains)

  Re: NELUG at Mindfest, A quick summary and more photo's.

Eric Kingsley <kingsley@nelug.nospam.org> wrote in message news:FK5sLo.Mu8@lugnet.com... (...) feel (...) I was there too. Michael Gasperi It was a great time that went by in a flash. The sensor building workshops I held were packed with over 30 (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mindfest Photos!

(...) Oh no! Seriously though, that's great. It'll probably take me a little while to get around to anyway. (And we all know what happens to projects that start with that sentence....) (...) Magic -- I put all of the groups I think it belongs in on (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  NELUG at Mindfest, A quick summary and more photo's.

First let me say that Mindfest was a booming success and we all had alot of fun. We learned alot about presenting in public, both good and bad. We had substantial interest in our table and everything went very well all things considered. This is (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mindfest Photos!

(...) Uh oh, more fuel on the fire then! I just uploaded the updated pages with the new photos! Of course, they don't have descriptions, since I wasn't there and don't know what was going on! (URL) I have no idea how you are getting this stuff to be (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Mindfest Photos!

PS: current batch is kinda fuzzy -- pretty low-light conditions in the gallery, unfortunately. Also, #1106 through #1111 are pictures of the NELUG logo done in lego, and not really interesting to the general population. :) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars)

  Re: Mindfest Photos!

(...) Uh oh, you're fueling my laziness. Now I have a lot less incentive to go through and clean them up myself. I've got ambitious (heh) plans for actually adding descriptive labels and stuff. *laugh* PS: i really _can_ make a decent web site when (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Mindfest Photos!

Argh! And I JUST finished resizing and thumbnailing the first batch! (sorry, they were just so cool I couldn't wait!) <from my previous post on the mater> For those people that do not have fast connection or 21" monitors, I have resized and (...) (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Mindfest Photos!

More pics up at <URL:(URL). Same disclaimers apply. Today's start at 1076. (25 years ago, 25-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars)

  Mindfest Photos!

Check out (URL) for some mindfest photos. Be warned that I haven't gotten time to do any sorting or naming or resizing-for-mass-consumption. They're 1600x1200 and about 400k each. Sometime soon I'll do some work and make a nice page out of this (...) (25 years ago, 24-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: Mindfest

(...) Hi Larry. Be there in a few minutes. :) (25 years ago, 23-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general)

  Mindfest

Coming at you FROM the MINDFEST floor... Put it this way, Mindfest is a BLAST... More later. John Van Z will be demoing Lugnet and the CAD related stuff (LDraw format files, LDLite, L2P, running POVRay, Datsville and the Datsville explorer at 10 AM (...) (25 years ago, 23-Oct-99, to lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.admin.general)

  mindfest

Wow. I will never ever again feel that I have a large amount of Lego. (25 years ago, 23-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: NELUG at Mindfest update (Good News on our Table Space!!)

If you can bring a FEW straights (say 6 or 8) that would be a good thing... I will try to be there as soon as I can, dunno about 3 but will try. Got a full plate tomorrow. (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.ri)

  What is FLL? (was: Re: Need Balls!)

(...) It's a double acronym: FLL stands for "FIRST LEGO League" and FIRST stands for "For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology." (2 URLs) if you're attending MindFest™ this coming weekend, FIRST's founder, Dean Kamen, will be part (...) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events)

  MIT Press now has copies of Jonathan's book

The MIT Press Bookstore received an initial shipment today of 8 copies of Jonathan Knudsen's book, The Unofficial Guide to LEGO® MINDSTORMS™ Robots: (URL) Press is open until 8:30 pm tonight. There were 3 copies left at last count. If you happen to (...) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.books, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.announce)

  NELUG at Mindfest update (Good News on our Table Space!!)

I just got some good news from Fred Martin. We now have 2 tables! We should not have to worry about not having enough space now. Whew... Plus Fred tells me we have a highly visible spot that should attract attention. Also Set-up starts at 3pm (...) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.ri)

  Re: Help me plan for Mindfest.

Eric Kingsley <kingsley@nelug.nospam.org> wrote in message news:FJnF0x.rn@lugnet.com... (...) Many thanks Eric. You can bet I will have a folded up copy of those instructions in my pocket Thursday night. Mike G. (25 years ago, 16-Oct-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Help me plan for Mindfest.

(...) Well, I WILL admit I had a mockup of a green line car partially completed but I just could not get a center pivot that looked good from the outside, worked, and would at least allow a minifig (turned sideways so he was only 1 stud wide) to (...) (25 years ago, 15-Oct-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us, lugnet.trains)

  RE: Help me plan for Mindfest.

(...) <snipped out more gory transit details...> (...) Hmmm, Larry does not live in Boston, and yet he is intimately familiar with the transit system. Coincidence, I think not. The more likely explanation is that he is obsessed with trains, and (...) (25 years ago, 15-Oct-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Help me plan for Mindfest.

There may or may not be a free shuttle but my advice is learn the T. Even if you're only in town for a weekend, it's a much better way to go. Plus the trains are much tighter headings than the 1/2 hour heading a shuttle is likely to be on. A cab (...) (25 years ago, 15-Oct-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us)

  RE: Help me plan for Mindfest.

Wait... For those of us staying at the Marriot, ther should be a free shuttle from the airport, right? I'll check up on this and let you know... Cheers, Ralph Hempel - P.Eng ---...--- The train stops at the train station, The bus stops at the bus (...) (25 years ago, 15-Oct-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us)

  RE: Help me plan for Mindfest.

<snipped Eric's description of how to get around> Eric, this kind of information is great! I'm going to be at Mindfest and my NLSO architect will be lollygagging around the downtown Boston area. Now it looks like I'll have all the info we need to do (...) (25 years ago, 15-Oct-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us)

  Re: Help me plan for Mindfest.

Welcome to Boston!!! (...) The easiest (and cheapest) way in my opinion is to take the Subway (We call it the "T" ). It is very safe and easy to use as long as you don't have a problem or fear of Subway's (Some, like my father do so I just thought (...) (25 years ago, 15-Oct-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us)

  Mindstorms on Macs! MacDaily plans review(?)

Hi Folks, I was browsing Mac Gamers hoping to find info on the new mactell voodoo3 cards and instead discovered this... (URL) appears the next week ( Tuesday) they plan on covering Mindstorms on Macs troubleshooting. I thought someone here might (...) (25 years ago, 15-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Would have (Was Re: Signed up for MindFest

(...) Yes. Mail me as soon as you know you'll be in town. Todd and I were hoping you'd come. Anyone else who missed the signup should send mail directly to me. -Suz. suz@media.mit.edu (25 years ago, 5-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Signed up for MindFest

(...) ... (...) Way cool, John John! :) Steve (25 years ago, 5-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.cad)

  Would have (Was Re: Signed up for MindFest

I WOULD have signed up for this but couldn't see spending 75 USD on the off chance that I could make it. Then I decided to take the plunge anyway and visited the registration site yesterday. It was after 5 but before midnight eastern (dunno if it (...) (25 years ago, 5-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Signed up for MindFest

(...) Go John go!!! --Todd (25 years ago, 5-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.cad)

  Re: Signed up for MindFest

(...) Wow! I'll say! (URL) (25 years ago, 5-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Signed up for MindFest

I'm so happy! I have to post this list. From the online LEGO community, we have some great representation signed up for MindFest at MIT. Names marked with a (*) are guest speakers. NELUG will have an exhibit table and a welcoming evening. LDraw (...) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Last chance for MindFest registration

Registration for the MindFest event at MIT will be closing today. This is your last chance to sign up! (URL) (25 years ago, 4-Oct-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.robotics.events)

  NELUG at Mindfest and 9/28/99 meeting summery

This is the first official announcement of NELUG's participation at Mindfest. We plan on contributing in a number of ways... 1. Many of us are volunteering to help out any way we can. This includes helping out in the "Construction Zone", monitoring (...) (25 years ago, 30-Sep-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.ri, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us)

  Re: MIT Mindfest was(Re: GMLUG.ORG is up!!)

(...) Well, I do really want to come to this event, *but* ...I'm afraid I don't have the money to make a trip out to MA in addition to my planned trips places in January and over spring break. I was under the original misconception that MIT was in (...) (25 years ago, 23-Sep-99, to lugnet.org.us, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.loc.us.il, lugnet.loc.us.ma)

  Re: MindFest

(...) There hasn't been an official posting of a timed schedule yet, but I will dig up what I can and post it here (soon). -Suz. (25 years ago, 19-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: MindFest

Has a schedule of the event been published yet? I am making plans on attending and I would like to be able to plan arrival/departure times. -Wes (25 years ago, 19-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Toronto Robot Challenge -- a great success

HI: On Sunday Aug. 22 Calum, Jeff and Myself organized a robot comptition. It was a great time and we all learned a lot. Ralph Hempel showed up and gave a talk on pbForth. Jin Sato arrived with his MIBO dog and a 2 legged walker. (as well as a ton (...) (25 years ago, 31-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Sumo wrestling and Football (Soccer)

Found a few interesting pages hosted by the Mobile Robots Group at the Artificial Intelligence Division of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh: (3 URLs) (25 years ago, 11-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: LA Area Robot-Arena competition may Not happen...

sorry for the last post..... it was supposed to go to private e-mail. (I suck at this) BUT if you are interested....... (25 years ago, 8-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sbe, lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.robotics.events.robot-arena, lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: LA Area Robot-Arena competition may Not happen...

Hi: (...) IF you happen to be in the Toronto (Canada) area on Aug. 22 we have just such an event. you are very welcome (and encouraged). check out: (URL) my (new address) walker and lego tattoo page @ (URL) (25 years ago, 8-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sbe, lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.robotics.events.robot-arena, lugnet.robotics.events)

  MindFest

===...=== MINDFEST A Gathering of Playful Inventors of All Ages October 23-24, 1999 Opening reception and setup: October 22, 4-6pm MIT Media Laboratory (URL) join us for MindFest: a festival of designing, inventing, and learning. A new generation of (...) (25 years ago, 30-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build)

  Re: The Lego Robogladiator Event that happened at E3

(...) (URL) (...) Thanks. But looking at the Spirit.ocx document from Lego's software devolpment kit it said it was possible to send any (of 32)variable, since some of those can range from -30thou to +same what happens to the excess, or have I got (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: The Lego Robogladiator Event that happened at E3

(...) In the RIS code the "Send to RCX" and "RCX Sensor Watcher" allow you to send and recieve between two RCX units. This is how we were able to get wireless control. Each "Send To RCX" and "RCX Sensor Watcher" requires a # between 1 and 255. The (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: The Lego Robogladiator Event that happened at E3

(...) (URL) the rules section there is a line about wireless control which says, I quote. "The RCX brick can send and receive 255 discrete commands over the IR port." Is there some more info on this interesting snippet out there please? James from (...) (25 years ago, 29-Jun-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  The Lego Robogladiator Event that happened at E3

Dan Danknick of teamdelta.com has updated his site to include to Robogladiator event. You guys should check it out. (URL) (25 years ago, 27-Jun-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: LA Area Robot-Arena competition may Not happen...

(...) I prefer the objective oriented competitions. Maze solvers, find a can and bring it back. That sort of thing. The RCX hasn't been out long enough for folk to have mastered the art of agression on one I think. Also, it has been suggested around (...) (25 years ago, 9-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sbe, lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.robotics.events.robot-arena, lugnet.robotics.events)

  LA Area Robot-Arena competition may Not happen...

I had originally posted (about 1 month ago) that I would be willing to set up an informal Robot-Arena style competition in the LA Area for March 17th 1999. Haven't gotten much responses/entries....Actually, got only one response from someone who (...) (25 years ago, 8-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sbe, lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.robotics.events.robot-arena, lugnet.robotics.events)

  King of the hill

Howdy, I'm looking for fellow Mindstormers in the Houston, Texas area for sparing. Basicaly, I want to try a "king of the hill" type of competition. White circular field, black border (say black electrical tape), last robot inside the field wins. (...) (25 years ago, 28-Mar-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  FIRST™ LEGO® League

Found a link to this... (URL) the official LEGO MINDSTORMS website -- specifically, this page: (URL) (25 years ago, 26-Mar-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  LEGO Mindstorms Competition

Thames Science Center in Newport, Rhode Island will have a LEGO Mindstorms Competition on March 27th at 2:00 PM. The General Rules are posted in (URL) The mission rules will be published on March 18th. This is their third challenge so far, it is (...) (25 years ago, 17-Mar-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  LA Area Robot-Arena Competition April 17, 1999

Tired of playing by yourself? An informal Robot-Arena competition will be held in the Los Angeles Area on Saturday April 17th 1999. This will be a...er...slightly destructive Lego(TM) on Lego(TM)smashing/sho...g/whatever competition using autonomous (...) (25 years ago, 4-Mar-99, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.la, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sbe, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.robotics.events.robot-arena, lugnet.loc.us.ca.la.lb, lugnet.loc.us.ca.la.pas, lugnet.loc.us.ca.la.sa, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sd, lugnet.loc.us.ca.bak)

  Re: RCX Challenge!

Hi - I'm new to the group, and intrigued by the challenge. I may just have to try to participate. One thing...that 10 oz can has been bothering me - finally had to go look at my empty Minute Maid Orange can...355 ml, 12 oz. I assume this is what you (...) (25 years ago, 2-Mar-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Here's an idea... (was Re: Contest)

I do not have the resources to actually try this out for myself, but if somebody here wants to try this, I'd be interested in knowing if it works. The walls of the area are to be painted solid black. Several coats of paint may be necessary to (...) (25 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  RCX Challenge!

Let the contest begin. The deadline for entry is March 31, 1999. Final rules are posted at: (URL) move all contest discussions to lugnut.robotics.events (25 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Contest Rules

Mark Tarrabain wrote in message <36D42D72.7B46763E@l....bc.ca>... (...) feel (...) to (...) I have a feeling that Lugnet will just bounce any messages from people reading through the list that haven't gone through the sign-up procedure. I had (...) (25 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Contest

(...) It isn't! That's the real challenge!! :-) (...) I don't know if you intend to use the standard firmware, but in the CyberMaster I don't even have that choice. The CyberMaster and the PC were made to work as one. For one thing, without floating (...) (25 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Contest Rules

(...) I don't know if I was out of line in doing this or not (somebody please feel free to correct me if I did a no-no), but I am trying to redirect followups to my posts on this subject to this group. (...) (25 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Contest

(...) I don't anticipate having the time to participate myself either. I have some ideas on how to go about it though, which I've already posted. (...) The Cybermaster does not appear to be robust enough to handle this sort of challenge. I'm not (...) (25 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events)

  Re: Contest Rules

What are the chances we will get conversation on your contest to move to this group? I don't want to mention the move, because I know that a lot of people on the robotics list don't read through Lugnet. Would be nice to move it here though. Perhaps (...) (25 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Contest Rules

I've placed a description of the contest and preliminary rules at: (URL) Shafer joel@connect.net (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  Contest

We've talked a lot about theory on this list, but how about an actual project contest? I propose a contest. Be the first to create a robot that can enter a room with no obstacles (other than walls), find a randomly placed coke can, pick up the can (...) (25 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  New newsgroups lugnet.robotics.events & lugnet.robotics.events.robot-arena

[Followups set to lugnet.robotics.even...bot-arena] (...) Both of these groups have just been created. Here are their brief charters: CHARTER/PURPOSE ===...=== lugnet.robotics.events (group and hierarchy): Organized events, competitions, (...) (25 years ago, 13-Feb-99, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.robotics.events.robot-arena)

  ------( Terms of use for lugnet.com )------

TERMS OF USE FOR LUGNET.COM OVERVIEW AND DEFINITIONS lugnet.com ("LUGNET") is a privately owned Internet site designed and run primarily for the benefit of those who enjoy building with, discussing, collecting, buying & selling, trading, and (...) (25 years ago, 13-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

  ------( Welcome to lugnet.robotics.events )------

Welcome to lugnet.robotics.events, a LUGNET discussion group. CHARTER/PURPOSE: lugnet.robotics.events (group): Organized events, competitions, tournaments, shows, etc.: announcements, ideas, collaboration, planning, experiences, analysis, (...) (25 years ago, 13-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.events)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact