 Robotics / 9669
Re: Has anyone disassembled a 9v Train Motor?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 10:07:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dean Husby writes:
Ben Jackson wrote:

Has anyone investigated the possibility of disconnecting the motor from the
pickups on the wheels

I've done just that.

How do you get it apart?  How do you like your design in practice?  I would
like to see pictures of your whole engine, if you have them handy.

Using the track to power the RCX was one of the ideas I was considering.  The
other was using the connection to the track to operate switches.  The tracks
leading up to the switches would be insulated from other track (no problem,
since only self powered engines would be in the yard) and the automated
switching would be done by a motor powered by the track rails.  When the switch
engine wanted to move a switch it would just activate the output that was
connected to the track.

--Ben