 Robotics / 27998
Subject:
EV3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2014 23:29:28 GMT

Does anyone know if the EV3 can take an AC Adapter to power it up like the 1st
generation RCX could?
Thanks
-Ahui

Re: EV3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2014 12:42:39 GMT

Did anyone answer this for you?

I am not an expert by any means but here’s my opinion.  No and Yes (maybe).  As
it comes in the box there is not a power jack so… No.  If you buy the battery
pack and charger, you could theoretically have it plugged in all the time.  The
charger plugs into the battery while it is still attached.  I know that the pack
has a charged indicator, and I am assuming it is intelligent enough to stop
charging when it is full.  If the battery is a lipo that would make sense (I am
pretty sure bad things would happen if were allowed to discharge and charge at
the same time).

I believe it all comes down to current capacity.  6x AA alkaline cells = 9V and
6x NiCd or NiMh cells generate 7.2V but can have a much higher mAh rating.  Lipo
on the other hand may only have one or two cells, and a VERY high mAh rating
(and likewise discharge rating).  The only real downside to lipo’s is that they
are kinda dangerous, they have a tendency to swell if damaged, shorted or
charged before cooling.  A swollen lipo pack must be discarded in a safe manner
and hopefully recycled.

Considering they have four motor controllers on the EV3… I would hope that they
used lithium polymer.  I would imagine that you could leave it plugged in and it
would run off of the battery and charge when it needs to.  Unless you have it
running for a long period continuously (which would wear it out prematurely I
assume) most likely you wouldn’t notice when it transitions from battery
discharge to charge,

Of course you could create some “dummy” batteries with a AC to DC converter or
the control center..

Hope this helps…

chris