 Robotics / 27726
Re: A couple of gear questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 2009 20:19:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Brian Davis wrote:
I think it's a non-issue for the most part. The torque isn't really "over a
range" - it's different for different clutch gears, but for any *single*
clutch gear it's pretty constant. After all, if it has a point at which it
starts slipping, it will always slip at that point: if it doesn't, it
continues to rotate until that "weak point" is aligned and starts allowing
it to slip.

That doesn't make sense.  If it's rotating internally such that the "weak point"
could be alligned, then it's already slipping, isn't it?

The few times I've used this, I've really never had a problem with the
"stick-slip" behavior, but I don't think that behavior is why there is a
range printed o the piece.

The range probably has to do with speed of rotation.  Rotate it at a really slow
speed, and it should slip at a different torque rating than if you've got it
running at super-high speeds.  We did experiments with how speed and inertia
affect friction in high school, and I remember enough to know that there _is_ an
effect, but not enough to tell you exactly what it would be.