 Robotics / 27598
27597  |  27599
Subject:
How to get a RCX1.0 working these days?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:09:58 GMT

Hi!
I have tried to get my old (old? It was the first one in Austria!) RCX
1.0 working again, but didn't succeed.
After all these years, the firmware seems to be gone, it doesn't even
run the on-board programs... I tried to install the original software
on WinXP, but it didn't work. Of course I tried the Win95
compatibility mode :-)

I can dive into an alternative system, but then it should look like
(visual) Basic, because that's all I know...

I have the following components:
* RCX 1.0 and the Ir-Tower, incl serial cable.
* a modern Laptop with Dual-Boot Windows XP and Vista.
* This laptop has IrDA and a Serial port.
* The original CD-ROM
* a fast internet connection and some time to download help and/or an
alternative system.

So, what would be the best idea to be able to use the RCX again? It
would be a pity to have 35year old LEGO bricks, but not being able to
use a 10 year old 'brick' anymore...

Thanks in advance!
Ardjan