 Robotics / 25460
25459  |  25461
Subject:
Question Burst
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 03:00:31 GMT

As usual, I've stored up a bunch of questions, and I'm sending them out into the
great beyond in the hopes that, amidst NXT battles, they will find their answers
and return to me ;-)

Question 1:
  Are the omniwheels at <http://www.charmedlabs.com/productsmain.htm> worth
US$9.00? I am considering the purchase of 5-6, and $9 seems a bit much.

Question 2:
  To the GBC guys: How do you efficiently project a ball from a Lego robot
several feet? I would like to build a semiscale model for my FRC team, game
animation here: <http://robotics.nasa.gov/events/first/AimHigh-Sml.mov>

Question 3:
  Anyone ever build a robot driven by a ball of any size? This would entail a
ball in a setup similar to a mouse (the ancient kind, that actually used moving
parts as opposed to light:-). If so, could you send me pix or a description of
how to start? I'd like to use the Lego balls, but they may be too small for
practical use.

Question 4:
  Does anyone know if there is a source for Lego-compatible mecanum wheels?
These are similar to omniwheels, but the rollers are at an angle to the wheel,
allowing holonomic movement (and regular turning!) with just four wheels.
Wikipedia link here: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecanum_wheel>

I am pretty sure that those are all the questions I had. Who knows, maybe some
of the answers even apply to the NXT...::goes off mumbling something regarding
an 18yo age limit on the MDP::

Andrew Meyer