 Robotics / 24946
Re: new newsgroup for NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 02:53:05 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Suzanne Rich Green wrote:
Shall we create one?

lugnet.robotics.nxt

-Suz

Thanks for the comments. After reading them and thinking more about this, I'd
prefer we do not create the new group.

Some explanation:

In the past, groups have been created of two general types: those for "product
lines" which were created earlier, rather than later, to direct traffic about a
fan-ish topic - sometimes short-lived, sometimes huge, ..we never could tell.
Those theme-specific groups invited incoming people to look to the beginning of
the group's history for the beginning of its discussion. The other type of
newsgroup creation is more organic. The new group is set up only after the need
has made itself clear and proven itself significant.

Robotics is the latter. And it's a community in itself. I apologize for "jumping
the gun" and anything that seemed like an intrusion. My original thought was in
reaction to sensing "hype". I immediately pictured a flow of newcomers to the
LUGNET website - looking for discussion of this - arriving at the .news list,
scanning it for a word like "Mindstorms", "FLL", or "NXT". My instinct was to
provide a pointer for them.

But I don't see any real justification for a newsgroup's creation. Members of
the robotics community can always request one if that's what they want, of
course.  (To be honest, I also feared the new discussion might slip into a
robotics subgroup which later would be "the wrong one". But that's just "making
a broke thing more broken", IMHO.) As for LUGNET's newbie-shepherding capability
via its graphical interface, people can be guided with simple hypertext if
necessary.

So, any differentiation from precedence is fine with me, so long as it appears
to be the better move.

-Suz