 Robotics / 23489
23488  |  23490
Subject:
Drawing Pneumatic Circuits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:12:27 GMT

I'm drafting my first pneumatic circuit drawing, which should appear online
soon.  It will be for this pick-and-place robot:
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=82738>
The robot has 4 functions, one operating twice in its 10-step cycle.

I'm using Visio at the moment and, having designed representations of the Lego
pieces, it's quick to draw, though not quite as quick as electronic circuits as
I have to zoom in to do some bits accurately.  I think the results are easy to
read, though this first drawing fills a page and the others (see below) will be
larger!  After exporting to Paint, the circuits will then become jpegs for
posting.  I'll include a state table for the finite state machine.  I'm finding
that it's easy to get the hoses crossed over, so I have to check that the drawn
circuit is consistent with the flow through the state table!

I have a couple of other circuits lined up to do already, one for an octopus arm
and another for a 6-legged walking robot, based on an electric one I saw on TV.
The circuit for the former shows how to reverse a sequence of movements and the
circuit for the latter will have application to all sorts of seqential systems.

Does anyone already have a scheme for drawing pneumatic circuits, other than
using text characters (which I find hard to understand!)?  I see Kevin Clague
has a 3D approach on his Quad242 page.  If anyone else has posted drawings of
pneumatic circuits, I'd like to see them.

Mark