 Robotics / 23160
  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) Dick, congrats for the incredible job, a real paradigm-shift for most mindstorms programmers. Mario (19 years ago, 13-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

I too am impressed with the amount of work that went into this release. After a few days playing around with it, I have a few comments: 1) braking seems to be proportional to power (at power=0, brake is not very effective) -- Lego firmware appears (...) (19 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) I did exactly the same thing today, and found I needed a figure of about twenty to acheive reliable back and forth motion. I think it may be something to do with the fact that the rcx firmware(s) will not let you switch motor direction (...) (19 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) Agreed. Beeing able to control break strength is an interesting feature, but it is incompatible with standard firmware. Maybe it should be controlled by a variable similar to bFloatDuringInactiveMotorPWM (19 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) Indeed, it vibrates fine if you set nMotorTransitionDelay = 0 Philo (19 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

Hi Dan, (...) that is strange, are you sure? (...) That is what the ROM routines do, and firmwares like Lejos that rely on it. I would have thought the standard firmware does it in the same way. Jürgen (19 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

The behavior you've experienced is expected. Standard Lego firmware implements a 100 msec delay when you directly "flip" or change powered motor direction. I expect it is a bug (rather than design intent) that if you go through the stage (...) (19 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

I'm pretty sure that variable strength braking is in fact the implementation in the standard firmware. Braking is proportional to the current setting of the power level. I think there may even be some ancient posts somewhere in Lugnet on this topic. (...) (19 years ago, 23-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) I don't think this is a bug in the original firmware, but rather a protection against burning electronics parts in the RCX or dammaging motors flipping the motor directions too rapidly. Motors present some interesting electronics behaviour due (...) (19 years ago, 24-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) Agreed. For practical reasons, Ultimate Robolab implements the variable brake mode too. (19 years ago, 24-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

I can say with assurance that the firmware that shipped with my RIS 2.0 does indeed brake fully no matter what the power. I started looking into this precisely because the new firmware behaves differently. If that's a feature and not a bug, fine -- (...) (19 years ago, 24-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

"dan miller" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message news:20041224140135....hoo.com... (...) You're absolutely right. It's a bug. I feel so stupid. I will fix in the next firmware release. I will simply remove the variable braking option. The (...) (19 years ago, 25-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) I think if you we're stupid that would make the rest of us amoeba! (...) Don't do that, I was planning on using it. I'm building a test rig where I will be using a non-geared motor (As a generator) to impose a variable loads. (...) If it's (...) (19 years ago, 25-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

--- Dick Swan <dickswan@sbcglobal.net> wrote: "Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr> wrote in message (...) I assume you mean kSystemMotorTransition. I'm having trouble figuring out how to access these new variables. There is mention of a file (...) (19 years ago, 25-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Replacement Firmware Released

(...) I would have to agree - variable braking is one of the things I really like about the new firmware, for motor control. That and speeeeed (note: I've yet to download & *test* the dang thing, but I really really really like the ideas). (19 years ago, 25-Dec-04, to lugnet.robotics)