 Robotics / 22862
22861  |  22863
Subject:
My Experience Building Jin Sato's MIBO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:52:44 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I’m sure MIBO is old news to many folks since this amazing robot dog was introduced by Jin Sato at least 5 years ago, but I figured I’d share my experiences with building MIBO for those folks who aren’t familiar with MIBO or are still interested. With the fact that MIBO is featured prominently in the latest Shop-At-Home catalog, I wouldn’t be surprised if some parents come browsing through LUGNET looking for info, too.

First off, I built MIBO from the instructions in Jin Sato’s book: Jin Sato’s LEGO® Mindstorms™: The Master’s Technique

Available here (as well as from various bookstores): http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=B565

Here’s MIBO on my kitchen table:

Gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/durbano/MIBO

I first built MIBO two years ago and built him again recently to relive the fun.

Getting the parts for MIBO wasn’t as straightforward as getting the instructions. I started with the parts list included in the book and then had to figure out what parts I had already and what I needed to acquire. Since the vast majority of the parts I own are all from complete LEGO sets, the Peeron set inventories where an invaluable tool in figuring out what parts I already had. Peeron also helped me figure out if any sets were available which had some of the additional parts I needed. In the end I was able to get all the parts I needed from sets I had, buying additional sets, and buying parts from Pitsco-LEGOdacta (now LEGO Education). I didn’t need to use Bricklink for anything, although in retrospect I may have been able to save some effort/money had I taken better advantage of that great parts resource.

While I already had an RIS 1.5 (really RIS 1.0 + 1.5 upgrade kit) I knew early on that it made most sense to buy a second RIS to give me both the second RCX and many of the additional Technic parts and bricks I would need. By that time RIS 2.0 was out so I was also getting an upgrade out of it (although I obviously could have bought the RIS 2.0 upgrade kit for much less money). While owning two RIS sets get you a good way towards building MIBO, that is still not enough to get you even close to having all of the parts you’d need.

In one sense, you can look at MIBO as an example of a great “Black-Beam Technic Model” in the vein of many great LEGO Technic sets from back in the “studded Technic” days. In other words, sets where the majority of pieces are black studded technic beams. Of course some would argue the King of all sets in this vein is the 8880 Super Car. Lucky for me I had an 8880. That was the set that donated the most pieces to my MIBO project. Unfortunately for folks trying to assemble the pieces for MIBO today, you can’t get 8880 from LEGO anymore and you’ll have to pay premium for it on Ebay or Bricklink. A more general problem is that LEGO doesn’t make many Technic sets with studded beams/bricks anymore. Ironically, you have to look in other themes to get those parts these days.

In addition to 8880, the 8479 Barcode Multi-Set was also a primary parts source. Another key set was 3801, the Mindstorms Ultimate Accessory Set, which I didn’t already own and had to buy. This gives you the Mindstorms Remote Control, a necessity for using Jin Sato’s MIBO RCX programs provided in his book, as well as one of the five rotation sensors you’ll need. (Note for train-heads, you also get the equivalent of a train-light kit, a plus for me!)

In addition to these sets I used various pieces from 7181, 3451, 8414, 9754, 8462, 8448, 8839, 8457, 8480, 8002, and 8001. Of course many of these sets aren’t available today, but this list at least gives you an idea of how many different sets you could expect to need to pull parts from to get everything you need. Of course for some of these sets where I only used a few pieces, I could have instead bought the individual pieces from Bricklink, but in my case I already owned these sets and I was trying to keep the cost down.

Even with owning all of these sets, I still had to buy parts from LEGO Dacta to finish MIBO. Key parts that you don’t often come across are the many Technic Turntables MIBO uses, the Rotation Sensors (expensive!), the Micromotor (rare for me was the top piece that wasn’t in 8480) and the Wedge Belt Wheel Tires. Luckily all of these things were available from Pitsco-LEGOdacta.

While it is possible to use alternate part substitutions for some parts of MIBO, in the end I matched every part type exactly with the exception of the ribbed hose used for his tail (I used three pieces, instead of one part). I did take advantage of some part color alternatives but was careful to stick close to the picture on the front of the book and be consistent in my color choices. The fact that the instructions are in black-and-white plus the lack of colors specified in the parts list shows that the point in building MIBO isn’t much about getting the colors perfect.

Was it all worth it? Definitely! MIBO is a great build and also a great piece of Technic engineering! Jin Sato truly is a Master and you can learn a lot of great building techniques from this model. Although I should warn, when you finally get everything built and programmed, don’t expect MIBO to run wildly across the room like a puppy. His animation is a bit deliberate (read: slow) when he walks and sits, but if you appreciate the engineering challenges Jin Sato had to meet, you’ll still feel a sense of awe as MIBO obeys the commands from the remote control. Plus, with Jin Sato’s use of individual rotation sensors at critical joints, there’s possibility for a great array of new tricks you can teach MIBO beyond the basic sit and walk in the programs provided. All in all, if you can afford the parts and are willing to spend the time finding the right pieces, I found building MIBO to be a great experience and well worth the effort.

Hope folks find this useful.

-Paul D’Urbano