 Robotics / 22837
RE: Smart Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:56:50 GMT

A Friend is a keen railway enthusiast (and also an Electronics engineer)
he suggested that you take a look at this site - schematics, PCB layouts
code etc is all available

MERG - The Model Electronics Railway Group - have been doing this for years.

See <http://www.merg.co.uk/resources/dcc.htm>

Dave
-----Original Message-----
From: PeterBalch [mailto:PeterBalch@compuserve.com]
Sent: 14 September 2004 12:03
Cc: [unknown]
Subject: Re: Smart Motor

"Rob Limbaugh"
Perhaps it would be cheaper to take a PIC and program it to behave as a
DCC decoder?

Yes, I'd thought briefly about that.

It seems like it would be a simple circuit. Because there is AC available
at the DCC decoder, you probably don't need an H-bridge; just use two
transistors (and maybe some diodes?) - one to switch it on when the AC is
"forward" and one when it's "backward". (I haven't thought the design
through.)

I also wondered about a Triac or thyristor. I haven't designed anything
around either for many years. My recollection is that their voltage-drop is
considerable compared with a simple transistor.

Whatever the design of the decoder, it means that the central "brick" must
have a much beefier H-bridge driver for each chain of motors. If I'm
driving two motors then two H-bridges is cheaper. If I'm driving ten motors
then ten DCC chips may be cheaper. Where's the breakpoint?

A PIC10Fxxx plus a rectifier bridge plus two transistors plus some
resistors plus a pcb plus ... It adds up.

Plus a lot of development work.

"Mark Riley"
The
$16US Digitrax DZ123 is actually quite a bargain

If the chips really are $16 then it's worth making your own. I can see that
for a Lego enthusiasts, a 2-wire bus is tremendous but, for the rest of us,
a three wire system also works well:  power ground and a serial "control"
signal. The advantage of DCC would be a cheap ready-built controller chip.

I believe most, if not all, decoder manufacturers use off-the-shelf
microcontrollers (like the PIC) in their designs.

Aha. I hadn't realised. I presumed it was a single chip. I guess the market
isn't big enough (which is very surprising).

Peter