 Robotics / 22835
Re: RIS Upgrade Kit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:58:15 GMT

Don't use a USB to serial converter.  It won't work with the IR tower.

My view is: beware of all USB to serial converters.

We bought one of each kind that was available in the local shops. Although
they were all different brands, the (2000 or XP) Windows driver s/w was
identical (not digitally signed by Microsoft). If you closed the port while
there was data coming in, there was a chance that the computer would reset
- to the Blue Screen Of Death. The faster that data was coming in, the
higher the probability of Death. If the bytes were nose to tail, there was
a 30% chance. This occurred on the 4 different computers we tried.

On one test, it corrupted the boot record and made the hard drive
un-readable. After that, we just junked all the convertors.

Peter