 Robotics / 19632
Re: Newbie has an idea - Nascar style racing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:08:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> writes:
...snip...
The grey scale across the width of the track is a GREAT solution.
With only a standard RIS set, I don't think you can improve on it.

The big problem is in the construction of it in a way that's cheap
and durable.  Printing it on a computer printer seems reasonably
cheap - and if people are worried about their toner consumption
then head to your local copy-shop and have them do it.

First Lego League uses a plastic mat made by 3M for their competitions.
Every team gets one to practice with when they register. I don't know how
expensive it is since 3M donates it to FLL, but it does have several
redeeming qualities for this application: extremely durable, appropriate
size (made to lay on a standard 4'x8' sheet of plywood with 2"x4" upright
border all around), can be printed on (at least 3M can), well tested, and
has good 'tooth' for Lego wheels.

FLL has a short season which is just about to end. This means that more than
2500 mats and tables are about to become available (plus more from previous
years). Perhaps the gray-scale could be printed on the back of the mat by
Kinkos. Anyone willing to try?

Andy Miller