 Robotics / 19535
Re: additions to RIS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:55:14 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Julian Gomez <jeg@polished-pixels.com> writes:
on 11/13/02 23:53, Kam Tsang at tsang@mainstreet.net wrote:

Are the "Extreme Creatures Robotics Invention System Expansion Set"
and "RoboSports Robotics Invention System Expansion Set" any good?
Worth the money for a newbie who's no longer a kid?

Extreme Creatures is a waste of money. I got mine for $20 and I'm still
angry. $5 should be more like it.

The parts selection isn't that good in the expansion packs.

The Extreme Creatures pack has the fiber-optic set which might be useful to
some tech-heads.

The Robo Sports has some "cute" plastic sports accessories, but hardly
anything useful, except the extra motor.

Mission to Mars has some black plates, and some all-terrain wheels, but not
much else.

Vision Command has a very cheap (chinese-built) camera (very poor resolution),
which is compatible with a Logitech Web Cam.  Software is very substandard
but is functional.

Ultimate Accessories Kit.  The remote control is probably worth it,
especially for robotic competitions.  The Rotation sensor included might
also has some great uses like sensing the distance of the 'bot.  The light and
extra touch sensor are really not that useful, unless of really lowlight
area, etc.

Ultimate Builders Kit got some great extra pieces, but at $60, you have to
wonder if it isn't just better off buying another RIS (on clearance)
to get the extra pieces, and you get the extra motors, sensor, and RCX brick.

Ben