 Robotics / 19130
Re: 2 rcx's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 05:28:12 GMT

Scott:

What would happen if you took a wire from a sensor port on one rcx and
connected it to a motor output on another rcx.  Would this be a viable way
to communicate with 2 rcx's if they could not be position for IR
communication?

Yes it has been done.    I used this set up to communicate between 2 RCX
in a contest where I new many people would use IR and the room would be
flooded with the stuff.  The original message is here:

http://news.lugnet.com/org/ca/rtltoronto/?n=3774

What I did was just put a lego wire from the motor out of one RCX to a
sensor in of some other RCX.

Here is the "secret" part.   I pulsed the motor out port between Float
and Off.  This was just perfect for the rcx to count transitions on the
sensor port.  One bonus system for using the float/off method is
reducing the chance you might fry an input port with voltage.  (yes i'm
sure the brick is protected, but why take the chance)

The contest info can be found here:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-022302-index.html

And to be honest I can not take credit for the float/off idea it was
Iain Hendry's

http://members.rogers.com/militaryduckjock/

  My thought was that you could have the sensor watch for
  power levels of the motor output and do something different for each power
  level.

I can not speak to this idea. I have not tried that directly.  Again,
all I did was count the transition pulses, and assign a look up
chart.    X number of pulses would mean do one thing, Y pulses would
make the program do something else.

Chris