 Robotics / 18165
Re: N. California Sites/Events?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.us.ca, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sac, lugnet.loc.us.nv.ren
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:26:04 GMT

Hi Wayne,

The northern California hotbed of LEGO activity is the Bay Area--  BayLug
actually meets fairly regularly (I think down in Fremont).  Otherwise it is
pretty dead up here, although a while back someone from the Reno area was
looking for fellow AF'sOL.

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=33530

As for Bricklink, it's easy once you get the hang of it.  Suppose you do attend
a BayLug meeting and Tom McDonald is there and you talk to him and decide you
just have to have a Spamcake Diner(tm) for your own town.  Of course you need
Spot the Dog, so you go to Bricklink and, on a hunch, type in "Spamcake" in
the search box at the top of the page.  Voila, there's that cute canine, in
Maggie's LEGO Finds. (Okay, okay, shameless plug.)  And you also see some cool
Spamcake San Brickcisco T-shirts at Brickwear & More (no, John didn't pay me to
mention this, but I do feel absolved!).

Really though, type in something like "rotation sensor" or whatever you really
need, and then click on the one(s) that interest you and browse their shops.
You'll see you have all sorts of choices, and it can be way cheaper
than the usual sources like Shop@Home or Pittsco Dacta.

HTH!

Maggie C.
FUT appropriate group(s)

In lugnet.robotics, Wayne Watson writes:
Thanks. I'm new to this game. I'm aware of bricklink but my initial take is
that one needs to search their list on the home page for a dealer and then
order through them. Maybe this isn't true. Maybe
one just orders on bricklink and a dealer responds.

Jona wrote:

Hi Wayne,

I do not know of any events in that area, but I wanted to tell you that I
have had great luck with http://www.bricklink.com for misc. pieces. Since
you order the parts directly from the individual stores/storeowners, it
doesn't really matter where you are located. I have even bought items from a
shop in Germany.

Good luck,

Jona