 Robotics / 18035
RE: What's next for MindStorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 20:20:05 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

The 40t double-bevel gear is one I haven't seen before.  The smaller two are
readily available in the various Bionicle kits.

Gigamesh interests me because of all those gears, the 12 triple rotors, and the
18 bogey wheels.  Snaptrax, Shadowstrike, and Technojaw all have pretty common
parts in them.  The "special" parts all appear to be those found in Bionicle
Bohrok sets.  The exception is Technojaw's tie-rod arms.

As you mention, the value must be in the smarts.  If we're lucky, they'll be
some moderate combination between the Bionicle Manas and Mindstorm Scouts.  The
Spybots appear to have more than one motor output and the review suggests they
have behaviors similar to the ones programmed into the Scout.  Multi-player
missions suggest the Spybots are addressable like the Manas.

Hopefully the embedded system won't be locked like the Scout is, and hopefully
they'll respond to IR messages from other Mindstorms stuff.  Otherwise, these
Spybots will wear out their novelty rather quickly.

-----Original Message-----
From: Benton Jackson [mailto:goatrider@spambegone.goatrider.com]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 3:32 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: What's next for MindStorms

It looks like it's more along the lines of the micro-scout, but it sounds a
bit more capable. The $60 price can include more smarts, because there
aren't that many lego parts with each, only about 200.

I'll bet AFOL's can find a lot more to do with this.

I noticed one interesting part- a double-bevel gear that's smaller than a 40
tooth gear. We can always use more gear ratios!

I have a hunch that there might be something else in the works, because
Target had a panic sell-off of all their mindstorms kits at $99. They know
something! And these spy-bots are clearly not going to affect mindstorms sales.

In lugnet.robotics, Simeon H.K. Fitch writes:
In lugnet.robotics, "Laura O'Grady" <l.ogrady@sympatico.ca> writes:
I think there are plans for new kits and the theme is spying.

Thanks to you amazon.com reference, I did some searching and came up with
this review:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/358/358642p1.html

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be a true MindStorms kit. Here's a quote
from the reviewer:

"...the Spybotics line draws its roots from the ever-popular MindStorms
systems. Spybotics, however, is aimed at a slightly younger audience and
generally takes the blocks into new territory. "

Bummer.

Simeon