 Robotics / 17504
Re: NY aqueduct tunnel inspector bot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:04:29 GMT

Chris,

Actually it has been done! The University of Rhode Island Oceanography
Undergraduate/Graduate Program entry to the 2000 International Autonomous
Underwater Vehicle Competion (AUVISI -
http://www.auvsi.org/competitions/water.cfm) won the competition with a
submersible whos engine was a LEGO RCX block! Yes they won the competition
with the LEGO Block.

If you are interested in their entry you can see the journal papers written
by them and the other entries here at

http://www.auvsi.org/competitions/2000/papers.cfm

A URI news article about it can be found here

http://advance.uri.edu/pacer/september2000/story5.htm

Ed

In lugnet.robotics, xenon@3dnature.com writes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/12/science/12AQUE.html

I found this article talking about remote robotic submersible tunnel
inspection very interesting. I recall a Mindstorm tunnel-roof inspector
bot that was part of my inspiration to build my own remote sensing bots,
such as the LIDARStation:

http://www.arcticus.com/Lego

  As a diver myself, I've often speculated about building submersible
robots, but I don't think Mindstorms are the proper medium. Too difficult
to seal the electronics.

  Building bouyancy-control mechanisms would be cool. Not sure how well
IR data transmission would work under water. Maybe short distances in
shallow water, but I bet you couldn't transmit through the air-water
interface at the surface. Your IR tower would itself probably have to
be submerged.

Chris - Xenon