 Robotics / 17471
Re: NY aqueduct tunnel inspector bot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:00:47 GMT

I think you'll find most underwater ROV are on a tether....took difficult to
control (and lose) without one. Fiber optic cable would suffice with IR. This
cable can be had fairly cheaply. I get mine as leftover pieces from FO cable
installers for networks.

I have had some success with waterproofing by putting rubber bands in while
putting the blocks together...the bands are coated with Vasolene..

messy but works pretty good...havent tested too deep yet. There is also the
issue with the static pressure vs dynamic pressure in moving objects. Just as
your watch may state 200 meter depth, this assumes you are not moving. Simple
movement exponetially increases the pressure. Thats why you watch will leak at
20m depth, not the stated 200m.

Have fun !

Brian M Smith

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson <xenon@3dnature.com> 03/14/02 08:48AM >>>
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/12/science/12AQUE.html

I found this article talking about remote robotic submersible tunnel
inspection very interesting. I recall a Mindstorm tunnel-roof inspector
bot that was part of my inspiration to build my own remote sensing bots,
such as the LIDARStation:

http://www.arcticus.com/Lego

   As a diver myself, I've often speculated about building submersible
robots, but I don't think Mindstorms are the proper medium. Too difficult
to seal the electronics.

   Building bouyancy-control mechanisms would be cool. Not sure how well
IR data transmission would work under water. Maybe short distances in
shallow water, but I bet you couldn't transmit through the air-water
interface at the surface. Your IR tower would itself probably have to
be submerged.

Chris - Xenon
--
  Chris Hanson | Xenon@3DNature.com | I've got friends in low latitudes!