 Robotics / 16240
16239  |  16241
Subject:
low res, high-speed vision sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 00:02:52 GMT

We are developing a low pixel count (under 100 total pixels such as an 8x10
pixel array) vision sensor. The idea is to process a small number of pixels
very rapidly (30 images per second is our goal). This includes capturing
the image and operating on the data (edge detection, object recognition,
etc). Prototypes will use JStamp.

Yes, I know this can be done with a 'real' video sensor, an embedded
Pentium, etc for thousands of dollars. But we are looking at something much
smaller, faster, and very low power consumption which would give a small
robot autonomous vision.

(We are also working towards a small CMOS color image sensor of about
100x100 pixels, but this low-res sensor is much simpler, lower cost and
faster than even that. 10,000 pixels is a lot harder to handle than 64.)

My personal goal is simple object recognition and real-time obstacle
avoidance and exploration with a robot moving at several inches per second
up to a few feet per second. We will be developing image libraries in Java.
A number of my students are interested in using such a sensor this semester
in their senior projects.

This is similar to the ideas online at the seattle robotics website  - for
example http://www.seattlerobotics.org/encoder/jan97/lowresv.html We plan
to move forward with a surface mount sensor array, with well designed
optics and make it a production item. Our *target* price is $100 per "eye"
which will include the housing, lens, sensor array, electronics and SPI
output (easily read by JStamp and many other micros).

My question: a web search doesn't turn up much recent work in this
direction. Is there any of which we should be aware, to avoid reinventing
the wheel?

TIA

Bruce Boyes
------- WWW.SYSTRONIX.COM ----------