 Robotics / 15819
Re: Got my RIS 2.0 set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:19:56 GMT

"Tilman Sporkert (webMethods)" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
I just received my RIS 2.0 set. Here's a quick rundown: • [snip]
The biggest change is of course in the software:
- The programming screen runs in a fixed 800x600 resolution. But you can
  zoom in and out.
- There's a library of "Big Blocks" for the challenges, like "Shake" or
  "Zigzag", that you can drop into your program. You can expand them to
  see all the steps they contain. You can make your own in a section
  called "My Blocks".
- You can create variables, and can perform various operations
  on them.
- You can add comments to your program.

Hi Tilman, thanks a lot for the info.

I personally don't use RCX Code to write my programs, but IMO the addition
of variables and instructions to manipulate them is the most important
change. This makes the software much more useful for educational purposes,
either at school or at home with your own kids, and remove some barriers for
those not very confident with programming and frightened by textual
programming environments.

Ciao
Mario