 Robotics / 15548
Re: Speed Computer?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 16:50:20 GMT

Hi,
I took my speed computer appart a while ago, but I finaly got around to
posting the pictures on my website at:
http://www.wegmuller.org/lego

Greetings,
David

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes writes:
It is not seperable. The wire comes out of the little sensor and
goes straight into the display part.

I had wondered the same thing. But I have not taken it apart yet!

I ended up making my own rotation sensors using mouse parts.
You get about 4 times the resolution with a mouse encoder wheel.

I have not encountered the missing count problem with either device,
the Lego rotation sensor or the mouse wheel version. But I have a
touch sensor which I use as a home position sensor for initial
cal. which I always use to trigger a clear command everytime it
gets pressed. (I am using the rotation sensor to aim another
sensor.)

What I do use the speed computer for is calibrating motors. I use
a 40:8 gear up to the speed computer as a "standard load" on the
motor. I run the motor from a bench supply set to 9.00 volts.
The rpm readings from the speed computer are divided by 5 and written
on the bottom of the motors with fine point permanent marker.

Then, when I build skid steer type platforms, especially ones with
two or more motors per side, I simply choose a "matched set"
of motors. I get good straight line performance and the motors
don't fight each other.

JB

Has anyone out there played with the Lego "Speed Computer" [5206] ?
It appears to contain some kind of rotation sensor - I wonder if it
could be made to work with the RCX - and perhaps avoid the missing
count problems of the RCX's rotation sensor ?
The photo on the ShopAtHome site doesn't show how the sensor is
hooked up to the computer unit - so it's not obvious whether it's
connected with a standard Lego connector or just hard-wired.