 Robotics / 12734
12733  |  12735
Subject:
Safari needs testers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:28:34 GMT

Are you seeking for new uses in your Vision Command camera?

Safari is a set of ActiveX Objects that detects barcode tags from the video
source connected to your PC. You can incorporate these ActiveX Objects
into your robotics application written in Visual C++, Visual Basic, or other
programming languages that supports ActiveX/COM under Microsoft
Windows.

You can either build these barcode tags out from Lego bricks and plates,
or print them out on paper. (Usually it works better on paper, because
plastics produce flares to the camera easily.) Put these barcode tags on
the walls and use them as landmarks for the navigation of your mobile
robot.

I am looking for people to help me testing Safari, on the following
conditions:
1) You need to have a PC with reasonable performance (i.e., the faster
the better), running under Windows (NT 4, 2000, 95, or 98).

2) You need to have a video source. I hope Safari works with the camera
from Lego's Vision Command, but I don't have one to verify it. (That's why
I need your help.) (As the video source, I am using WinTV-GO, a NTSC
video capturing card from Hauppauge. The camera is a wireless XCam2
from X10.)

3) You will receive the software package of Safari by email, in the form of
a .zip file of the size around 250KB. You should have an emailbox with
enough capacity.

4) You need to know how to use an ActiveX Control from your own
programs.

5) You agree to not redistribute Safari to other people in any forms. I plan
to release Safari free of charge eventually, but at this stage, please keep
it with yourself. If you know someone who is also interested in testing
Safari, please direct your friend to me.

6) You accept the risk that Safari may crash your machine and cause
loses to your data. Should such unfortunate incident happens, you agree
that I am in no way responsible.

7) You agree to at least install Safari on your machine to see if it works,
then tell me your result, as well as your system configurations.

If you want to help me testing Safari, please send me an email at <
mailto:hywang@pobox.com>. In your email, include this announcement,
then state that you agree with what it says.

Also, from time to time, I will send out emails to all the testers,
announcing the availability of new versions and bug fixes, asking for
suggestions, etc., etc. The emails will be strictly related to Safari.
1) Do you wish to receive this kind of emails?
2) When I send out emails to everybody this way, your email address will
appear in the "To:" field and be disclosed to other testers. Do you mind if
your email address is disclosed to other Safari testers in this way?

Thanks for your help, and hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang

(Does anybody know of a good, secure place, where I can put up my
software package for this kind of limited release, with password
protection?)

(I choose the name "Safari", because you go to a safari to hunt barcoded
zebras. Of course, in the context of Lego, "safari" always means "photo
safari". See <http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=safari>. Set 699 is my
favorite.)