 Robotics / 11962
Re: cybermaster
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:55:28 GMT

Hi Laurentino :)

As you know (if you remember) I also have a CyberMaster.

I prefered the RF-link to the IR-link, primarily because of the mobility
and freedom it would give to the robot, and the processing power of the PC.

My current (looong) project is exactly that, of using Robotic Vision as a
component to the robot guidance system. Landmark recognition by vision,
crude obstacle detection by analising the glare intensity and distance
between a pair of small flash lights mounted on the robot and everything
else I might come up to, in the process.

As we all know, these "complex" projects have to be done one step after
another.

I don't know if you ever saw any of my postings about this, but, since
you're using MS VC++ and dealing with realtime image processing, have you
ever used a very good image/video-processing lib by Pong Suvan ?
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/psksvp/download.htm

The movingblob() was one I planed to use on a sub-project: "Target"
following, with the robot simply controlling the up/down, left/right
rotation of the cam.

If you didn't already, check this list:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/cil/ftp/html/vision.html

My main problem right know: the european (PAL) version of XCam I was
planing to use for wireless color feedback to the PC (through my video-in
card), costs 249.00 EUR (www.edentronic.com) = $225.25 USD = 56000$00 PTE
(at www.xkt.pt) instead of the original NTSC version, $88 USD (www.x10.com)

:(

Guess I'll have to go for a cheaper option instead... an USB webcam. :/