 Robotics / 10327
Re: Positioning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:29:49 GMT

At 08:54 27-01-2000 GMT, David Leeper wrote:
Again, I think the major flaw in all mapping systems that I've seen is
the "GO" command. Moving a robot is not acurate and the programmer has to • come
up with ways to deal with the inacuracy, whether its a timer system, a
rotation system, or landmark system.

That's one of the reasons why a programmer goes to all the trouble (and
fun?) of building a physical model of a bot instead of dealing with
over-acurate 3D CG simulations.

Ok, now for the Positioning system debate. Just one word: *Ants*
They're blind. The advantage they have is chemical sensors (smell).
I think they use a mix of "(chemical) line" following and landmark system
(or line node recognition)

My robotic vision project will, hopefully, evolve to something that can be
used as a landmark/graphic pattern recogniser to be used in the bot
positioning area.

:)

PS: MyProjectsUpdate:
My Robotic Vision project (using http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/psksvp dll's)
and my Sanscript & Spirit.OCX project (http://www.trulyvisual.com) have all
stalled temporarily. I was expecting this already, 'cause this time of the
year my workload doubles, so no spare time :(
..best guess is March, to continue with both projects.

Marco C. aka McViper