 Publishing / Photography / 269
Re: can someone tell me how to make my photos come out better?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish.photography
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 02:33:37 GMT

Some- well alot- of it is your camera- fixed focus 4 feet to infinity ain’t going to do very well in the macro realm. Something like the $200 canon A60 would do a lot better in getting closer. Just resist the urge to get closer then 4 feet. Crop if you have to.

But the biggest thing you can do is lighting. Get a plain white background, like big rolls of slightly glossy printer paper. Put your subject on it and roll the back up so that all you see is just the paper and the model. Then light it. The best lighting is diffused, either outside in the shade, during an overcast day, or inside bouncing light. If you take a strong incandecent or flash and aim it right up at the ceiling, it will reflect light down and be a lot softer, with many less shadows and a much softer look. Here’s an example.

Photoshop can also make a huge difference.

Hope that helps.

-JHK

In lugnet.publish.photography, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
   My camera is: Concord EyeQ Duo LCD 1.3 megapixels 2x digital zoom 9.9mm f/3.2 flash the manual says its “focus free from 4 feet to infinity”

No matter what I do, I cant get it to take good photos of my lego creations. Examples of how the photos have turned out: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=55249 http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=55251 http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=55250 http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=33262 http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=55251

I know that the size on some of those is a little on the large side but hey :) Can anyone tell me how to get this camera to produce better photos of my creations?