 Publishing / 2270
Re: Forced refresh of html pages instead of getting them from browser cache
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 22:07:55 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Kevin Loch writes:
Here's what I do to guarantee no caching:

void printCGIheader(){
  printf("Content-type: text/html\n");
  printf("Expires: 0\n");
  printf("Cache-control: no-cache\n");
  printf("Pragma: no-cache\n");
  printf("\n");

}

void printCookieHeader(char *token) {
  printf("Content-type: text/html\n");
  printf("Expires: 0\n");
  printf("Cache-control: no-cache\n");
  printf("Pragma: no-cache\n");
  printf("Set-cookie: token=%s\n",token);
  printf("\n");
}

I basically threw in everything and the kitchen sink.
This should work for both HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 and those pesky proxy caches.
(although @home's proxy server kills the cookies for some reason, but
there is no need to use @home's proxy servers).  Squid proxy server
passes the cookies just fine and does not cache anything.

Wicked excellent.  I'm going to try that.  So the cookie rationale there is
to avoid having cookies accidentally set twice, yes?  In case one of the
caching entities isn't smart enough to automatically not cache pages
containing set-cookie requests?

--Todd