 Publishing / 1705
Re: Stylesheets in MSIE and NS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 21:44:25 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Bram Lambrecht writes:

Who hasn't experienced problems with stylesheets (of those that have
experimented with them, of course)?  It seems that nothing in MSIE or NS
is implemented exactly according to the W3C standards, although I must
say that MSIE 4 does a better job than NS 4...Glad to see you found a
work-around solution, but wouldn't it be great if things worked as they
were supposed to?

Yup... too bad the W3C standard is just used as a guideline instead of a
standard. Still MSIE renders a lot of features better than NS does, though it
seems that NS is slightly faster at rendering the HTML.
Have you ever looked at the DHTML features of both browsers? The tags are even
different![1] That is why my old (non-lego) DHTML site[2] is MSIE4+ only :-(

-Frank

[1] MSIE uses 'div' and NS uses 'layer'
[2] http://www.kaos.demon.nl/amibench/the_index.html