 Publishing / 1703
Re: Reducing picture sizes really improved my web site!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 19:18:35 GMT

Just chiming in again.

Since you put overviews of the cities thumbnails are not as important for you.
Looking at the overview gives the viewer an idea of what each close up will be.
All in all, I really liked your site.

Chris

Brad Hamilton wrote:

One of the suggestions about my web site was to reduce the picture size
because a lot of people didn't have screens big enough to view them.

I reduced my standard picture size down from about 1100x700 to 700x500.
This fits comfortably on an 800x600 screen.

Reducing the picture size had many side benifits:

- The image size is down by about 60%! (down from about 170K per image to
only 70K per image!).  This improves download time as well as upload time
(for some reason, my web provider takes forever to upload even though I use
a cable modem!).  This also makes it easier for me to stay safely within my
space and bandwidth limitations.
- Even though my monitor was big enough to view the old images, my central
vision couldn't take the whole picture in at the same time.  I wasn't able
to appreciate the "big picture" properly.
- I reduced the pictures (using an anti-aliasing algorithm) and then
sharpened them.  The result is MUCH improved clarity.  Some of the pictures
are really crystal clear now.  Some of them still need improvement (i.e. new
photos!)

I also fixed a few broken links.

Here is the link in case anyone is interested in the results

http://members.home.net/bhamilto1/lego.htm

I'm still looking into some of the other suggestions (like thumbnails).

Thanks for the help!

Brad