 Promotional / 441
Re: First scans: German Telekom "Tour de France" sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.promo
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 20:58:00 GMT

In lugnet.promo, Tom Stangl writes:
To avoid more questions...

If you can't read German, you'll need to fire up Altavista's Translate section
(http://world.altavista.com), and cut and paste words into it (using the DT • site's
URL just doesn't work well).

I didn't think people would be interested in buying from Deutsche Telekom so I
didn't bother to translate very many of the details, but in case anyone else
wonders, here are some more translations.   You can also try www.quickdic.de
for translations.  It is better at small phrases or words than whole sentances,
and the site has an English version, though it isn't too hard to figure out
what to do on the German version even if you don't know any German at all.
- Click "In den Warenkorb legen" to add them to your Shopping Cart.
   Choose "SchlieBen" to close the popup.

Make sure you see the "Ihr Produkt wurde in den Warenkorb aufgenommen."
message, which means, "Your product was loaded into your shopping basket."

In the "Warenkorb" section, "löschen" means to remove (products from your
basket).  This word has a bunch of translations so I though I'd make it clear
:-).  Oh, "suchen" is to search, in case that is useful, and "Versandkosten" is
the shipping charges.

- Click the Aktualisieren button to continue through the Cart.  NOTE
   the text at the bottom under the Akt button - run this through Altavista's
   Translate section, you get:
   "The quotations contain the at present valid value added tax. Starting
   from a purchase order value of DM 200 we supply within Germany
   forwarding expenses-free. With a purchase order value under 50,00 DM
   a forwarding expenses addition is raised from 10,00 DM. With orders
   within the European Union member states the forwarding expenses
   lump sum amounts to DM 15,00. Orders outside of European Union
   member states are calculated with a forwarding expenses lump sum
   by DM 80.00."  (Note I never heard back whether they would subtract
   VAT from my large order - I hope they do, it will be a nice chunk of
   change)

I don't know about this translation - it is kind of confusing.  Here is how I'd
translate:
---begin translation---
The quoted prices include the current VAT. (As a side note, this is the
convention in Germany, prices quoted usually include tax, unlike here in
America where prices usually do not include tax).
For orders of greater than 200 Deutsch Marks, shipping is free.
For orders of less than 50 DM, an additional shipping charge of 10 DM will be
added.
Orders from any of the member states of the European Union are charged a flat
rate of 15 DM.
Orders from outside the EU are charged a flat rate of 80 DM (about $40).
---end translation--

It doesn't say it here, but elsewhere in the site it says that the shipping
charges within Germany for orders between 50 and 200 DM is 7,50 DM.  Also, it
says elsewhere that the MINIMUM order is 50 DM, so regardless of where you live
you are charged 10 DM if your order is not at least 50 DM in addition to any
other shipping charges you incur.

- The next page is for entering your name and shipping info - run each
   section through the Altavista Translator to make sure you are entering
   the right stuff in the right places.

At the top (starting with Diese Seite dient der Erfassung...) it says, "This
page serves the purpose of gathering information about your order.  If you
would like to order from the shop again, we advise you to register for a
membership.  That way, you can comforably and securely shop with your user
name.  Please complete all of these necessary fields."

Note that "notwendig" is necessary, so all fields marked "notwendig" must be
completed.

- NOTE the "Zahlungsmethode: [notwendig]" dropdown list - this is the Payment
   Method.  To translate the choices, you have to View Source for the frame, • and
   then run the choices through the AT.  Here they are:
       Rechnung - Calculation
       Vorauskasse - Vorauskasse (didn't translate)

Vorauskasse is payment in advance.  I don't understand the first one - Rechnung
could also be translated as "bill" - maybe it is a "bill me later".

       Kreditkartenzahlung mit Wallet - Credit card payment with Wallet
       Kreditkartenzahlung ohne Wallet - Credit card payment without Wallet
   The last choice is the one most outside the EU will probably use.

I would read the English section (from the main page) about this.  I would
guess that Tom is right, but I didn't read that section.

- After entering all of your info, choose "Anmelden" to continue

They give separate field for your area code (Vorwahl) and phone number
(Rufnummer).  I don't know why.

Anmelden is register or log in (depends on context I guess).

As a side note, I was told that at certain store I was (as an American)
eligible for a 10% reduction in prices (due to not having to pay the full VAT).
I don't know if that applies here or not.

Also, since the shipping charges are a flat 80 DM, you are better off ordering
from one of the Lugneters if you only want a few sets (say, one of each).  If
you order a whole bunch of sets, probably this is the way to go because the
shipping is 80 DM no matter what.  I don't know how much shipping typically
costs, but I mailed Ralph Doering a 12 pound box of Lego via airmail and it
cost about $40, which is 80 DM.  This box contained 16 or so sets compacted for
shipping (no boxes, instructions, or catalogs).  My guess is that if you order
more than 8 of the bigger sets you probably would do better ordering them here
rather than from a European Lugneter.

Toki

PS to Tom - just out of curiousity, how many sets did you order (it sounds
like a lot)?  Did anyone answer your question about the VAT?