 Pirates / 889
Re: Uncertain Definition of a Ship Type...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 02:43:56 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Tony Priestman writes:
On Sat, 6 May 2000, Bruce Schlickbernd (<Fu5MI1.M3F@lugnet.com>) wrote
at 20:06:01

In lugnet.pirates, Shiri Dori writes:

FWIW...

From GuruNet:
"ketch (k&#277;ch)
n. Nautical.
A two-masted fore-and-aft-rigged sailing vessel with a mizzenmast stepped
aft of a taller mainmast but
forward of the rudder."

If the mizzenmast was placed
aft of the of the rudder (and most likely it would be a smaller mast than on • a
ketch), it would be a yawl.

I'm curious now.

If a mast is aft of the rudder, isn't it in the sea?
--
Tony Priestman

That entirely depends on where the rudder is in relation to the extreme above-
waterline stern.  If you have sufficient rear overhang, the rudder-post (which
is what counts here) will be forward of that.  I've always felt yawls look
particularly inelegant, but I have no idea what its advantages and
disadvantages are.

Bruce