 Pirates / 708
Re: Whish clash of ship is the largesht?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 18:54:46 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Hi,

  I looked at the subject line and thought someone'd had a bit too much
  of the grog...*hIc!*

Oh hey, I'll drink to that!  Whish way ish the grog?  Captain Morgan, I hope.

Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

In lugnet.pirates, Jonathan Wilson writes:
Which class of ship is the largest? A man of war? Was there anything
larger?

1st class ship-of-the-line, 100 guns plus.  Ships-of-the-line were rated 1st
through 4th class.  Frigates were 5th and 6th (The American super-frigates
could be argued to be 4th class, I imagine).  Everything else was unrated • (by
the British system, at least).  I'm not sure when this rating system began - • so
earlier periods (more appropriate to Piracy anyway, 1550-1700) may have used
different nomenclature.

There were some real monsters among those first-rates, however.  I remember, • in
particular, the French ship L'Orient, which was *rated* at 120 guns--but in • fact
probably carried 140 at the time of her demise at the Battle of the Nile in • 1798
(she blew up--go figure, there was lots of powder aboard).  I'm not sure • anything
ever got bigger than that, though--wood as a building material had a lot of
limitations, both in size of single pieces and in resistance to torque.  (Of
course, it also had a lot of strengths too, when compared against early iron
hulls--one reason why you saw a lot of opposition to wholly-iron hulls.)

"Man of War," by the way, is a generic term for combat ships; it's also the • name of
a big nasty floating blob with lots of dangly tentacles, which is probably • more
formidable than the actual Portuguese men of war were.  Yeeeow!

best

Lindsay

Gun ratings were the golf-handicaps of their day.  :-)

I remember the day hundreds of men-of-war (man-of-wars?) washed up on shore.
It was like a minefield.

Bruce