 Pirates / 4247
Re: Ships' Boats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates, lugnet.boats
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2005 02:15:43 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, George Edward Godwin wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:

   The Launch. ~ The launch is a large vessel (and rightly so) It ends up being a tad over 8 studs wide, and 30 studs long. It is six wide internally, allowing plenty of room for two men for each of the four oars. A sail can be rigged as the situation requires, and can carry a small gun.

I have to say I like this one the best (although the small swivel gun on the pinnace is particularly nice.). I don’t suppose you have some better pictures of the construction? I am just not seeing in my mind how you connected the bow and stern to the midsection without taking away a lot more room in the middle.

The launch is fairly easier, given the six-wide base. I use 2x plates internally running the length of the keel and boat plates (round 2x2 inverted tiles) underneath to sandwich the six wide plates of the hull and six wide bow plates. The SNOT sides are then attached with a series of headlight bricks (mounted sideways).

The five wide boats use a 1x plate overhanging from the end benches to connect to a 2x1 plate with one stud on the bow and stern sections, all anchored together with a 6x1 plate across the top. That might be hard to follow, I’ll take some construction pics when I can (time, location & light permitting).

I’ve also now constructed a barge for Capitaine Legeaux, slightly larger than the cutter. It is five wide, but uses a different method for the 5 to 6 wide join (to give the good captain plenty of space to stand). Pics of that to come, too.

   I really need to make sure my marines have proper transport to the beach when they atta... uhm... visit Port Brique sometime in the future. :)

We’d be quite happy to captu... uhm... host them whenever they drop by. ;)

Cheers

Richie Dulin

These are really nice boats, Richie. I haven’t been on Lugnet in a while - I hope you come out with those construction pics soon - I still have difficulty seeing that SNOT construction. I’ll have to make some of my own soon, too!

Aaron :)