 Pirates / 4029
Re: Delfín
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:20:21 GMT

In lugnet.pirates, Richie Dulin wrote:

   Nice work on the sails. The X cut sounds like a good idea - I’ve used a paper hole punch, and have often found that the hole is slightly too big. And threading the jib seems like a good option to save them slowing travelling down the forestay!

Is there a reason for the different orientation of the stripes on the jib and mizzen?

Umm - the mizzen is a mistake. Oops. The jib was deliberate - I didn’t want the jib and fore sail to clash. (Real Xebecs often had sails of two different colours, but I couldn’t find material with different colour stripes, so I orientated them differently instead).

   The overhanging stern on the prototype was actually a grille-work, but I wasn’t able to replicate that and keep it strong at the same time. It’s attached with two hinges at the back in such a way that the front is at just the right angle to lock together with the studs below. There are two pins above the front for it to pivot on.

Angled decks are always tricky - particularly if strength is needed. You’ve come up with a good solution.

Thank-you!

   There isn’t enough room for the ship’s boat on deck, so it’s towed astern.

As would probably be the correct procedure for combat. My preference (in real life, as well as in Lego) is to get the boat out of the water.

The absence of a bow chaser surprises me... but then the xebec’s not a vessel I’m familiar with.

Actually, Xebecs DO have bow chasers - unfortunately, I ran out of cannons :( The Lego cannon doesn’t really fit there - I’ll have to build something smaller and put one on each side. Good eye noticing that, though!

   There’s a bowsprit just poking into the edge of

Is that the Kestrel? I’d love to see a pic of the two side by side.

Yes, that’s the Kestrel. And yes, after I took these photos and put the two ships side by side, I knew someone would ask for that! Pics coming soon...

Aaron :)