 Pirates / 3978
3977  |  3979
Subject:
A couple of sloops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 03:16:54 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

(That’s sloops as in ‘sloop rigged’, not as in ‘sloop-of-war’). (And sorry about the pic quality... can’t be helped at the moment).

I spent a day at home with a cold yesterday, so what better time to play with some SNOT construction? MUCUS seems so dated...

My first effort uses those 1 x 6 x 3 & 1/3 with curved top arches that I seem to have acquired a few of over the years, but haven’t come up with a use for.

I mounted them studs foward, and widened the hull going upwards using half stud offsets for a sort of clinker built look. The sides of the hull are mostly constructed with 1x1x5 and 1x1x1 bricks, with the odd plate, jumper brick and 2x2 corner brick to keep the whole thing together. The lowest hull band (tan) uses a 1x12x5 arch, and the deck is made of a selection of 1xnxn bricks.

Anyway, the result was a large, open boat. It’s rig is Kestrel influenced (though it uses lego string, and is quite fragile). I quite like it as a first try at this sort of hull.

Just as I’d finished clearing up the Lego room, I began to ponder the possibilities of the 1x6x2 round topped arch. Hmmm...

A bit smaller, and without the clinker effect on the sides, this boat uses 1x2x2 and 1x2x3 panels studs forward to taper the hull from 6 wide to 4 wide. I think it’s a nice change from the standard 6-wide hull parts.

So, at least something has happened in Port Brique!

Adieu

Richie Dulin