 People / 4432
Re: Coolest Brickshelf account
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:12:17 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.people, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.people, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

   Maybe I was doing something noble too? It can happen. I was standing up for my friend Rosco. Maybe I don’t read as much into Rosco’s writings as Larry does. One could read Rosco’s post many different ways. I guess there is no room for a little friendly ribbing?

I’m guessing that Larry didn’t know it was ribbing, or else he’d have tried to join in. Sometimes Larry has difficulty telling what is a joke and what isn’t. But when I read Rosco’s post, albeit with kidding involved, there is the subtext that John is the only one making a fuss about this and that he should stop.

Larry was standing up for John’s right to post whatever he wants, especially something that is meant to share a resource with others (possibily newbies).

   To me, the simple outsider, Larry’s response to Rosco’s post was an attack, provoking a fight, trying to win by posing hypothetical arguments, rather than substantive information. I merely stuck up for my friend.

You aren’t a simple outsider and you didn’t merely stick up for a friend. If we want to continue the fight metaphor, John did something, Rosco laughed at him, and Larry said “hey, don’t laugh at him - he’s doing something good.”

If that were the tone of Larry’s post, you would never have heard a word from me.

Your first post in this thread isn’t sticking up for Rosco, it’s throwing a punch at Larry for Rosco. You are snide, derogatory, and mean. You call Larry a bully, which might be true from your point-of-view, but how many times has that inspired Larry to not be a bully? Are you being at all effective in that?

Ahh. You are upset with me calling Larry a name, yet you call me three different names in one sentence. I’m not chastizing your for that because that would be hypocritical. I’m merely pointing out that your words an your behavior are incongruent.

What you are saying is that I should not talk about the truth because it has no effect. I should stop pointing out what I interpret as bad behavior on Larry’s part, because talking about it does no good.

I’m not one to stick my head in the sand, thank you.

   I didn’t like Larry being content police when he was an admin, and I still don’t like it when he is not. I beleive that diplomacy is not one of Larry’s strong suits.

Why Admins need to be content police is because the community doesn’t police itself. Larry is now part of the community, and he is free to post whatever he likes. I’m glad that he does what he thinks is best for the community, and I wish more people would speak up. Larry wants civil discussion. He might not be good at it, but yelling at screaming at him because of his shortcomings isn’t creating civil discussion either.

And I am free to post whatever I like, except you think I should not. Another application of a double standard?

I have never screamed at Larry. Methinks you exagerate a bit.

   Never once did I complain about his organization skills or his work ethic.

Nope, you applauded his resignation. Which, IMHO, is really really bad form.

I was told that the admins who resigned did so by choice. Since it was his choice, there is no sore wound to throw salt in. So why is it bad form to say that?

   We wouldn’t be having this conversation if Larry had interpreted Rosco’s post through this perspective, but he did not.

Yep, but the point is whether we chose to escalate or to deescalate. And despite whatever Larry did, you chose to escalate. You bear the sole responsibility for your own actions. I could have written a very mean email back to you - and I did - but I deleted it and started over. My hope was to try to get you to back off of Larry and give him some space to work on being a better person. Calling him a bully repeatedly doesn’t do that.

And you bear the sole responsibility of your actions which are also to escalate. So, why are your actions acceptable and mine are not? Your behavior is no different than mine.

Ignoring what I perceive as bad behavior isn’t going to help him be a better person either.

I have already tried to start dialog with Larry so we can both move to a different place, maybe bridge a gap.

Do you think that your comments motivate me to behave differently?

   I only see Larry as being bulligerent in some of his posts, and for some of them I point it out.

Maybe there is a better way of dealing with these situations than just calling it like you see it. Maybe we could try to be diplomatic and kind?

Had you tried practicing what you so vocally preach?

-Lenny

Kevin