 People / 4394
4393  |  4395
Subject:
100,000 Views!!! I'm Throwing a Party on LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.people, lugnet.fun.party
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 09:26:45 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I’m having a party.

When my Brickshelf Gallery hits Views: 100,000+ , I am going to celebrate.

So I would like to have a party here on LUGNET to communicate my thanks to each of you and many more who have visited my gallery.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

When the Gallery hits = 100,000 plus views, come to lugnet.fun.party
and post your thoughts, memories and or “Precious impressions” to this thread. If you have ever visited, I’d like to hear from you and your invited. Unless your too good for that and just want to lurk like a sour puss. Come on! Anyway I’m doing it, and doing it for me and you.
At least stop by and I’ll give you a lemon. LOL, ,,,,,,

An online Virtual Party! To Celebrate and I would like to give thanks. Live!

I first joined around 2000 I think. (Kevin et als, could you check my exact account creation date?)

Ever since then my life changed. (sound effect pls)

That gallery represents many years of hard work, dreams realized and lost, happyiness, sorrow and joy. All made possible by a system of elements, shapes and components, plus, just one of the more important of things; imagination.

Brickshelf rocks! What else can I say. I got to look at other people’s creations. See what others built. In a way, Brickshelf itself IS a form of communication.

People from all around the world using LEGO and building ideas for others to try and inspire by visual examples.

I dig it. I like it. Didn’t really understand it at first. My folders were a mess. I kept goofing silly things up. Then I learned, had fun, wasted time, (egad I should have got a High Speed Connection years ago). Building a huge Gallery, (IMHO -in my honest opinion). Got better at photograpghy despite the blue walls of my studio area.

I remember a few years ago when I built my first website, mylegomaster.com. I started putting all my pics on the site. Bad idea. I mean it was so much work. Lot’s of data.

I’d gladly do the work, the size of the data was pretty big. I had trouble getting good size data storage from a service host provider blah blah. (at the time) Brickshelf and the “Service” it provides is a miricle.

I recently copied my Brickshelf Gallery to disk again. For safe keeping, and because the gallery contents were scattered in dozens of back up disks from many years back. Images were hard to find on years of back up.

Plus my new site is underway, making it easy for handy editing and content additions. (Which I of course recommend you do) :P

   www.biomechanicalbricks.com

Not including my Exhibits Gallery which btw has thousands of pictures + video, and only counting my serious and semi-serious MOCs (My Own Creation). I built over 50 robots. Plus a bunch of Moonbases, (which I luuuuuvvvvvv), over 750 megabytes.

Ya, I’m proud of that and all , however my point is equate that example to how awesome the Brickshelf Gallery is.
It takes server space to store all that stuff.

Then multiply it by the amazing talents and sheer amount of accounts there are now. Does the insides of the Brickshelf Gallery Main Image Archive look like Star Trek? Now there’s a Moonbase waiting to be built!

See! all of our ideas help each other. Ooooh Kool Kool Kool.

Well, 4-5 going on 6 years now with Brickshelf it is simply amazing.
Thank You Thank You Thank You!!! to the nth power.
That’s a lot of powers too!

Thank you to all who have stopped by and checked out something you thought was interesting, humorous what ever!

   Special thanks to those who visit my “Things” Gallery! WOW. KOOL.

I always felt there is more to a MOC or just what we see when we post something. Us LEGO fans, we got LEGO everywhere in some cases. I realized there was a whole other part that could be shown. All the nick nack and desk buddies and odd and interesting parts, promos shelf monsters, stuff like that, that we never are gonna see, if we just take pics of the MOCs themselves.

That’s when I made the Things Gallery. Just a place to put regular LEGO pics of stuff around me. Sometimes, there would be a new Things upload each day. Like a quick online game people could play. Try to find the new Things. I know what it’s like to work at a desk at the Office. Go ahead, its ok. That’s why I’m an Artist now, I like to dream, then be all industrious about it until I have to do something like wash dishes, enjoy the outdoors or take my girl out to Dinner.

:P

   A word or three about my Exhibits Gallery.

First off, I have to say, I honestly don’t know what is harder, building the MOCs, or doing the Exhibits.

On one hand building the MOCs is like little triumphs all put together. Like a heroing drive to and from TRU, or waiting for your LEGO order or Brick Link order. Learing how to build something and overcomming the frustration. The effort in building, the strain of sorting or finding parts. The crahes and epiffanies. Plus many more personal experiences each person has or does not have when building. Building MOCs is many things to many people.

Then you have the Exhibits.

Like I said I don’t know which is more difficult. I have shown my robots in many places for many years. Since I was a young man.

yeeesh, I can’t put some of it in words. Though I’ll try. That’s what the pictures are for.

The preparation, the leg work, the social interaction, the fearlessness one needs to say ok, I’ll bring my MOC to a place I have never been despite reassurances of venue logistics. The worry, the concentration, the nerves. The oversite. The promotion, the sucess, the feeding of oneself. The pain on the feet, let me just say for starters, that’s how phyically challaging it is sometimes to man a display or answer questions all day, keep people from breaking MOCs.

The opportunities you miss because some one is telling you that they were the “KING” of LEGO back in the day, because they had two full shoe boxes full of pieces.

   TWO WHOLE SHOE BOXES!!

That’s when I say, “Rock on, lot’s of AFoL’s started out like that.” (Adult Fan of LEGO)

Infact I think at BF 2003, we were in Rocklands and some guy in the bar came up to a couple of us and said...“Oh man I was like the King of LEGO back in the day!, I had Two Whole Shoe Boxes man, TWO WHOLE SHOE BOXES - FULL, of, LEGO. .. . .. ....

We looked at eachother as if we were looking back in time along an alternate life path. We could have easily turned instantly into LEGO FAN Paramedics and saved the poor guy, you know give him a Catalog or something. Instead we all laughed like Klingons back from a Battle - HAA HAA HAA, why you would be amazed at the vast sums of LEGO some people have. It is also true that it does not always matter HOW MANY parts you have, sometimes it is just as cool to use a small amount of parts in a neat way. Bahh Haaa.

Check out www.brickshelf.com (we would probably say www.legofan.org nowadays too)

AND what is my name “Skip”?? no, silly we say LUGNET too. plus many others.

What’d-up BZPpower.com

Getting back to what I was trying to convey, the Exhibits Gallery represents as much if not more effort and accomplishment as the Main MOC Gallery does. I guess because for me it is so closely related.

I have this saying. “Sometimes, it doesn’t do any good in your house. You have to go out and show it.” Ussually said after someone asks me, wow where do you keep a bunch of 3 foot tall robots and 6 foot bugs?

They agree, and it’s great to see it does make a difference and if anything, if it enriches your life with experience to do shows and displays. For me now, it is a way of life. Brickshelf helps capture that by hosting my pictures and video.

I wanted to mention, I know full well many other AFoLs also know the effort required sometimes to pull off a show or display. I have seen many gatherings and events on Brickshelf. Fans from all over the world getting together setting up tables and skirting working to showcase the fun of LEGO and the interplayablity the system offers, by allowing people to bring their creations together to become something more than the sum of the display/exhibit(s) parts.

This has happened many times. This phenomena is still evolving and is kind of recent right? I mean, when were the first LUGs (LEGO User Group) formed and who were the ones out there doing the shows? Various people from all over the world, that’s who.

Those pioneers and first milestone runners made it possible for more to follow and join. Now Train LUGs and SciFi Groups display Fan creation at amazing places and often side by side with our Freinds at LEGO.

Now hold on a second, I want to say Phenomena again, but this time silly for a sec....phenomenaanan phemenaaminnana Phenopththanana..

Ok, had to get that out of my system, See none of yall know about my keen vernactics. Just kidding. Had to get all vernactical. yea.

Hey so here we are, some stories and thoughts that’s all. I have been meaning to convey this some how, and so there it goes.

THANK YOU FOR VISITING MY BRICKSHELF GALLERY! PLEASE COME AGAIN.

I’m having a party.

When my Brickshelf Gallery hits Views: 100,000+ , I am going to celebrate.

So I would like to have a party here on LUGNET to communicate my thanks to each of you and many more who have visited my gallery.

When the Gallery hits = 100,000 plus views, come to lugnet.fun.party
and post your thoughts, memories and or “Precious impressions” to this thread. If you have ever visited, I’d like to hear from you and your invited.

Got a fav pic?
Classic Legomaster Babe and Robot?
Some cool technique or MOC?
Use and idea, did something help you?