 People / 3458
3457  |  3459
Subject:
I fell off the face of the earth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 19:46:44 GMT

Hi everyone!

Yesterday I realized I fell off the face of the earth. That I became one of
"those people" who just disappear and you never hear from them again. One of
those people, I remember Todd saying, that you wouldn't even know if they
died or just stopped going online - and from a virtual point of view they
did die (knock on wood), because they're just gone.

Well, I wish I could say, "time to fix that" and actually be true to my
word, but that isn't the case. In fact there's no way I could ever return to
a normal posting level - and *certainly* not to the level I maintained
during my talkative years. Yes folks, real life has found me at last and
caught up. :-)

But I still feel like I owe a small "hello" to everyone here in lugnet. The
people I spent so much time with, and grew to know and love (most of them
anyway :-). And even though I don't owe an explanation, it's only fair to
update the interested folks with what's going on, so here I go.

I'm currently completing my third semester in the Computer Science
department in Haifa University, which is in Haifa, in Israel. Contrary to
the Brickfest organizers' belief, Israel is not the 51st state and it's not
even a suburb of Boston. <grin>  (In Brickfest 2002, my nametag read "Kfar
Vradim, Israel, Massachusetts".) Lego prices are high in Israel, but that's
an excuse and not the reason for why I haven't been doing anything
lego-wise. I simply don't have the time. Since I want to work fulltime next
year while completing my degree, I'm taking a much larger workload than
normal, finishing almost a quarter of my studies in one term. In addition I
ran and was elected as the department represantative in the U's student
body, which is a lot of fun but a lot of work. I can't help it, I like
helping people out and was drawn to the position as soon as I realized it
was possible. :-)

This summer I was in the U.S. and I intend to return for a visit next summer
as well. Even though I thought, after Brickfest 2002, that I would fully
return to lego life and to lugnet and to posting, I turned out to be wrong.
All the goodwill in the world can't help - I don't have 25 hours a day. So,
unfortunately, I will not be showing up much - except maybe dropping in here
and there, sporadically (sproatically? :-).

Many of the people here are very dear to me and I will always have a warm
spot in my heart for lugnet and my online friends, whether I met them in
person or not. I will still be around and you can always reach me by email
(just make sure you write "LEGO" in the subject so I don't lose it in the
junk mail). Unforunately, many of the people I was closest to on lugnet
have, themselves fell off the face of the earth and probbly won't see this
mail. Still I want to extend my appreciation to all of them - from Craig and
Pawel and Dave Eaton who made me start with castle, through Todd and Suz who
made this all possible, and if I start naming names this will never end. I
care about everyone I've met here. You are all wonderful people. Thanks to
you all for every minute and memory. Hope to see you someday around the
block (yes, pun intended!).

-Shiri