 People / 200
Re: LUGNET Memberships
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 15:18:59 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Todd Lehman writes:
  http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/join/
[followups to lugnet.people]

Todd,
                                tm
As the self appointed paranoiac    (1) user of Lugnet, I just want to suggest
that you should have some wording on the application itself to minors and
other kiddies out there that they should be speaking with their parents before
handing over all of that information to Lugnet

Given the nature of legos (toys that not only AFOL's like to use) and the fear
that surrounds childrens use of the web these days, you should probably put
the warning right on the application page, and perhaps people should have to
click through a warning page to get there, not just be referred to an off page
document containing the terms of use (2).

Anyway, just my $0.02

Will

P.S. And yes, I am a lawyer, but this is not my area of practice, so this is
offered only as general non-binding free advice, which is not even worth the
$0.02 mentioned above ;-).

                                                    tm
(1) Or if you prefer the alternate spelling paranoic.

(2) See, http://www.lugnet.com/admin/terms/ .

Re: LUGNET Memberships
As the self appointed paranoiac    (1) user of Lugnet, I just want to suggest
that you should have some wording on the application itself to minors and
other kiddies out there that they should be speaking with their parents before
handing over all of that information to Lugnet

Mmm, good idea, thanks.

--Todd

Re: LUGNET Memberships
As the self appointed paranoiac    (1) user of Lugnet, I just want to suggest
that you should have some wording on the application itself to minors and
other kiddies out there that they should be speaking with their parents before
handing over all of that information to Lugnet

Mmm, good idea, thanks.

Followup---Here's what I did...3 things:

On the entry page <http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/join/> I changed the
first paragraph from:

   How do I join?
       To become a LUGNET member, first familiarize yourself with
       LUGNET's Terms of Use, then fill out the lifetime membership
       enrollment form.

to:

   How do I join?
       To become a LUGNET member, first familiarize yourself with
       LUGNET's Terms of Use, then fill out the lifetime membership
       enrollment form.  (Kids, make sure you have permission from a
       parent or guardian first.)

At the top of <http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/join/enroll.html>
I added a third paragraph:

   (Kids, make sure you have permission from a parent or guardian
   first before giving out any personal information.)

And at the bottom of <http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/join/enroll.html>
I added a new paragraph and a pair of radio buttons:

   Once again, it's important to stress:  Kids, make sure you have
   permission from a parent or guardian before submitting this form!
   Select one of the following:

      o  I am 18 years of age or older.

      o  I am not yet 18 years of age.  I have the permission and
         approval of my parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to fill out
         this form and to provide personal information about myself.
         I am not submitting information without their knowledge and
         consent.

--Todd