 Organizations / United States / WAMALUG / *933 (-5)
Re: AFOL Wife Swap?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.people, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:13:00 GMT

At 04:05 PM 12/13/06, Aaron Sneary wrote:
No offense to anyone that has decided to participate, but I find this highly
offensive on two counts.

ONE - I am a happily married man that believes there is a special bond that
marriage embodies. A TV show that exploits that is a detriment to a positive,
family-oriented society.

There are, of course, different ways of looking at this.

It seems to me that at the end of each show, all four spouses end up
talking about how much they appreciate the person they're married
to.  Usually even more than when the show started.  And, generally it
appears both families end up making changes that will make them
better people, and make their families stronger.

TWO - I am a proud adult LEGO enthusist that believes our hobby is a positive,
family-oriented hobby that may come to be respected at least as much as Model
Railroading one day. A TV show that is seeking to mock and poke fun
at our group
is a detriment to our hobby/sub-culture.

This week, they had a family where the 5 yr old daughter participated
in beauty pageants.  Maybe I missed something, but they didn't appear
to mock that.  I can't possibly imagine doing that with a 5 yr old,
but maybe I'd feel different if I had a girl.

I for one will not be watching that show at all. I hope that if you choose to
participate, you will be keenly aware of the producers' attempts to mock you
(and hence us) on national television.

My family has decided to apply, and as it turns out, we are moving
right along in the application process.

I'm not worried about anyone attempting to mock us.  I'm very
comfortable with our choice of hobbies.  I'm 100% sure, no matter how
positive they make it, there will be people that say, "those dumb
adults play with legos."

On the other hand, no matter how negative they make it, there will
also be people that say, "You mean I'm not the only adult that builds
with LEGO?"

There will always be people that just live to mock and poke fun at
others.  That's their hobby.  It's what they do.

On the other had, you can't believe how much fun I've had in the last
year, sharing my hobby with people all around the world, talking
about LEGO, Mindstorms, robots and all the stuff I enjoy.

Now, I need to practice being judgmental and extreme...

<Extreme judgement>

I'm shocked that you stupid people don't have the vision to see an
opportunity when it's handed to you.  There are millions of people
who would die for this kind of chance, and you morons are too scared
of what mocking idiots will think about your precious hobby...

</Extreme judgement>

Well, that's about the best I can do.  :)  Please note that was
intended to be sarcastic.  I'm just trying to practice in case they
do put me on the show.  I do understand how the show may try to take
things out of context (like the above statement), but I hope I can do
a good job of presenting myself and our hobby.  And, maybe I'll even
end up a better person, when it's all done.

Steve

Re: AFOL Wife Swap?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.people, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:22:40 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Aaron M. Sneary wrote:

   END SOAPBOX

What he said.

Well said.

JOHN

Re: AFOL Wife Swap?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.people, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:05:21 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   I just received this email - my address was apparently culled from the WAMALUG list: snipped

Anybody out there thinking of volunteering? And who would you be swapping with? A MegaBloks fan?

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s
Creations

Yea, I got this email too.

No offense to anyone that has decided to participate, but I find this highly offensive on two counts.

ONE - I am a happily married man that believes there is a special bond that marriage embodies. A TV show that exploits that is a detriment to a positive, family-oriented society.

TWO - I am a proud adult LEGO enthusist that believes our hobby is a positive, family-oriented hobby that may come to be respected at least as much as Model Railroading one day. A TV show that is seeking to mock and poke fun at our group is a detriment to our hobby/sub-culture.

I for one will not be watching that show at all. I hope that if you choose to participate, you will be keenly aware of the producers’ attempts to mock you (and hence us) on national television.

END SOAPBOX

Aaron Sneary Husband and AFOL

Re: AFOL Wife Swap?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.people, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 21:30:39 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:
   I just received this email - my address was apparently culled from the WAMALUG list:

(clip wife swap solitication)

Anybody out there thinking of volunteering? And who would you be swapping with? A MegaBloks fan?

Marc Nelson Jr.

She’s been making the rounds of the Internet. Check out my latest blog posting for some fun with this.

Re: AFOL Wife Swap?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.people, lugnet.org.us.wamalug
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 20:47:18 GMT

Anybody out there thinking of volunteering? And who would you be swapping
with?
A MegaBloks fan?

Marc Nelson Jr.

<http://www.lugnet.com/~326/
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/manjr/LUGNET/thumblink.jpg Marc's
Creations>>

I got mine today.  I'm not married anymore, so no swapping for me. :P

-Rob

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact