 Organizations / United States / TEXLUG / 388
Re: Sealed Moonbase?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.texlug
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:25:11 GMT

Jamie Neufeld and I (among others I'm sure) have both used a force-field
sort of double airlock technique in the past to avoid needing a double
airlock to access the outside:

(from Jamie's really cool used car lot)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tremor/Ground/tycho/dcp02513.jpg

(from my Tycho Brahe hotel)

For a monorail station, I would suggest actually enclosing the monorail
within the station when it comes in to stop, with a couple of these force
fields at either entrance to keep the entire thing buttoned up.  That way
the station is sealed, the train is sealed, and the figs never need to don
their helmets and o2 tanks to get from one side of the Moonbase to the other.

And yes, it's a standard assumption that the Moonbase is sealed,
pressurized, oxygenated, and perhaps even includes normalized gravity.  Any
outside access point (and there should be at least a couple scattered around).

If someone ever builds a Grand Central Station-esque module, that would be a
good place to have a couple of nice external airlocks for random citizens
wandering around to gain access to the Moonbase.

Adrian
--
http://www.brickfrenzy.com

In lugnet.org.us.texlug, Tom Reed writes:
In lugnet.org.us.texlug, William P. (Pat) Hough writes:
Hey, here's a dumb question.

Is the interior (corridors and the like) of the moonbase considered sealed
from the outside? In other words, could respective minfigs walking about
inside doff their helmets and airtanks without risking peril?

The reason I ask is that I am setting poses for my minifigs as I build my
modules. Either they are walking, or talking, or staring out a window, etc.
and the ones on the inside have their airtanks and helmets traded in for
hairpieces or headwear. That would be fairly silly, however, if helmets and
tanks are required for the inside of the moonbase as well.

So what do I do? Scramble an O2 alert and get those airtanks and helmets on
ASAP? Or leave them as is?

Personally, I like the idea of a sealed base; otherwise, what is the point
of going out of our way to distinguish corridors and other living space from
the outside?

No one has brought this up to my knowledge and looking at the main moonbase
website yielded nothing. Perhaps this was assumed to be common knowledge.

Pat

Hey Pat,
It's my understanding that once the minifigs are inside the module, they are
on some sort of life support system.  No need for helmets there!  If that's
not the case, then most of my minifigs are going to die! hah!  I don't have
any in my modules with tanks on.  I tried to build my modules with this
concept in mind.
This is also the reason I haven't done a monorail platform to where the
minifigs can get on or off the monorail.  It would seem like there should be
a double air lock there for it to work.  I never quite figured out a good
way to do that.  But I may come up with something before the meeting.  I'm
still working on it.
I have created a number of submodules that we can use to connect the main
modules together if they aren't right next to each other but have unused
corridors facing each other.  My submodules are nothing but corridor pieces
that interlock together (just like the modules) only they are a third of the
size and can be arranged according to the need.  They would be put on a
regular size gray baseplate, but you can connect to any port on any side
using them in combination.  I guess the best way to describe them is they
are just corridor extensions with some hubs.  They may not be necessary and
that's fine, but I thought it might be better to try and connect most
corridors rather than just plugging them closed.  We'll see how it goes.
As far as the monorails go, I figured out a way in which we might be able to
add a loop on one end of your module, then use the other end to extend the
monorail to where ever we choose to take it (possibly to another loop
somewhere).  I wanted to have another stopping point for the monorail, but I
haven't created one.  I'm not sure I'll find time, so we may end up just
running track to no particular spot.  Nothing ever goes the way I plan it,
so it will be no surprise if we don't get it to work like I imagine it. haha
I'm hoping maybe you will come up with a better idea!  I'll be bringing a
bunch of monorail stuff, so we should be able to create whatever we want.
If worse comes to worse, we can always just put up a separate monorail track
to display the monorails and let them run.  I'm thinking we might want to do
that anyway after getting the moon base completed.  Again.. we'll see!
I've rambled enough...
Tom